Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member w/question on Atlantic White Cedar

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Been carving whimsies (balls in cage, chains, small animals and various combinations like a heart in a heart, etc) for several years, mainly out of basswood. Was fortunate this summer to get several sections of Atlantic White Cedar and love to carve this stuff. Any ideas where I might find some more? On line searches aren't much help. Thank you in advance for any response.

Re: New Member w/question on Atlantic White Cedar

You might have ahard time finding this, but I would try to find sawmills close to where the stuff you got came from. They might have some or be able to find it for you.
    Welcome to the WCI Board Farmall, lots of people on here and maybe someone else will know about this cedar, I have carved white cedar roots but they where from a local blowdown, I found it to soft.
    Carl

Comment

Hello and welcome, Farmall. It's good to have you here.

Perhaps the wood is known by other names.

Be patient, I'm sure someone here will be able to help you.
      Ron T.
      http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

Depending on where you are from, this could be a bit hard to find, especially if you are in the midwest or further west. Looked up Atlantic cedar and found it grows in a very narrow strip along the Atlantic coast from Maine to Florida and in a small area around the Florida panhandle. If you are from anywhere along this strip, do what C/TFN suggests and check local sawmills, or google east coast lumber suppliers.

You might try working through this site. Search here by state or area, or zip code.

Woodfinder :: Find Sources for Hardwood Lumber, Exotic Wood, Veneer, Sawmill Services and Other Woods such as Tonewoods, Recycled Lumber& Salvaged Wood, Carving Stock and Turning Blanks.

Here's one with Atlantic White Cedar from that site.

Chesapeake Woodworkers Sales :: A Woodfinder Supplier

Al

Comment

Farmall,

Eastern White Cedar is a wonderful wood and quite plentiful here in Eastern Canada. There are quite a few local sawmills that specialize in to, mostly for building material for log homes or timber framed buildings. I'm not sure if they ship in small orders, but if you send me a private message with your address details, I'll send you some, from my own stash! I have lots and a timber framer business owner is a friend, he gives me as much as I could ever use in several lifetimes! I do some carving for him from time to time, so we're even.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Bob, that eastern (northern) white cedar thuja accidentalis is a different species than the Atlantic white cedar Chamaeccyparis thyoides.

It may have some different carving properties or it may be quite similar.....I don't know...just two different trees. It'd be good to do a side by side comparison. There might just be as many differences as in the three species of basswood, common here win the states.

Anybody familiar with both???

Al

Comment

Well, first, I appreciate the replies I have received already! I have emailed Squbrigg to have him send me some of the eastern cedar, so (hopefully) I'll be able to tell you the difference between it and Atlantic White Cedar soon. Here's another question....anybody got a chunk of Camphor wood I could use to make a bowl? Ran into a fellow who had done it, made a neat bowl that smelled really great!

Again, thanks. I am impressed by the knowledge on this board.

Comment

I have not worked with camphor but I have seen camphor burl for sale, as far as I know it can be hard to get a hold of. It is an evergreen and grows very slowly I think it comes from China and Tiawan? I do know that if ya get a hold of some to use it for a fancy silverware chest or for silver jewelry, it prevents tarnishing for what reason I don't know. It can be normaly found through exotic wood dealers, idk if anyone on here has any but I will check some of my suppliers and see if they have camphor.
                Carl

Comment

Still checking exotics dealers but I did find this.
                  Cinnamomum camphora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Carl

Comment

I managed to find some check this link looks pretty pricey.
                    http://www.cookwoods.com/Camphorburl.htm
                    Carl

Comment

Camphor does grow in the US. Lots in Florida. Just got find out where....

Oh, thanks for the link. It is rather pricey......

Comment

Look up Woodfinder :: Find Sources for Hardwood Lumber, Exotic Wood, Veneer, Sawmill Services and Other Woods such as Tonewoods, Recycled Lumber& Salvaged Wood, Carving Stock and Turning Blanks. They list 5 suppliers who sell Atlantic White Cedar in carving stock.
                        Doug

Comment

Hi, I found this old post and thought I'd reply to it to make sure my post is in the right place here. My father has a few dozen logs of atlantic white cedar. Their diameters range from 6" - 12" and lengths range from 6" - 18". The trees were dead in a neighbor's back yard for quite some time. They dried standing and lost their bark. My dad cut them about 7 years ago thinking he'd get into wood carving or make fishing lures out of them. They've been stored in a dry place since then. I've included photos of one of the logs. There are not many knots, but there are cracks as you can see. Dad is downsizing and wonders if there is a market for them - if someone might like to purchase them for carving as opposed to him putting them into his fire pit. He is located in Northern New Jersey. Andrew
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Working...
                          X