CYPRESS KNEES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CYPRESS KNEES

WHAT HAS TO BE DONE TO THE RAW KNEES BEFORE CARVING. ??? ??? ???

Re: CYPRESS KNEES

put a bandaid on them :P :P :P :P

Sorry just kidding. If they are dry then I think you can just peel the bark off.

Comment

hat is correct lorax. Most of the shops sells the knees already cleaned. I made some lamps with carvings in them. Used cherry for a base and outlined the base of the knee but out 3inches. Beat heck out of a square base. Used tongueoil for protectant.
      Safe and happy carving.

Comment

I would recommend you acquire them already 'debarked' if at all possible. Even when dry, peeling the bark off is more effort than you would first believe. I have used a pressure washer to strip the bark off, it worked OK and didn't damage the knee but it got kinda messy!

If you need a source for kness try http://www.cypressknee.com/ or http://woodcarvers.com/default.asp

Good luck!

Comment

YES I'VE HEARD THAT CLEANING THE KNEES ARE A CHORE. BUT BEING I LIVE IN LA. AND HAVE ALOT AROUND THE HOUSE. I JUST GET IN MY BOAT AND GO GET THEM. LET ME ADD I DO GET THE OK OF THE LAND OWNER FIRST. I'M NEW TO CARVING AND NEVER THOUGHT OF CARVING KNEES UNTIL I LOOKED AT SOME THE OTHER DAY. HAD THEM IN MY BACK YARD AND NEVER THOUGHT OF USEING THEM. THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP.

Comment

Steve, the easiest way I know of cleaning the ones laying around your backyard is to boil them first. Makes the bark much easier to peel off.

Teri

Comment

The fresh cut ones are easiest. Rig up some way to boil them and boil for four hours . They will have to be weighted down. Take them out and peel while hot. Bark should come off easily. Oh, add a little bleach to the water to prevent mold. The way I do it is in 55 gal. drums and a propane weedburner. A turkey cooker should work if you can get a way to get it under the drum. If you have never done it before you should try a few small ones on the stove first. If boiling old dry ones I recommend soaking them for a week before boiling. Hope this helps.

Comment

I am enjoying the thread.... Went out and got 7 knees Saturday, came home and boiled them about 4 hours as described (they were just cut). Sure enough they peeled great.

I carved one up green but the wood seems a little soft, easy to carve though. Should I let them cure before carving? If so how do you treat them.

Thanks

Comment

Nothing wrong with carving them wet but they will dry out in a few days. No treatment is necessary from here on, just carve.

Comment

Originally posted by Whatsthat
                    I am enjoying the thread.... Went out and got 7 knees Saturday, came home and boiled them about 4 hours as described (they were just cut). Sure enough they peeled great.

I carved one up green but the wood seems a little soft, easy to carve though. Should I let them cure before carving? If so how do you treat them.

Thanks
                    I was wondering what you used to cut the knees from the root ? My brother has some Cypress tree's that I can cut knee's from . I planned on using a chainsaw but I'm thinking the saw might chew them up to much .

Comment

I bough a pull saw from Lowe's. It has a blade about 15" long and is really easy to use.

The wood is very soft and the pull saw cuts it quickly and cleanly. (I bought the medium to rough cut, not the finish cut)

The saw I bought is the following although I did not use this site

http://www.toolpeddler.com/bearsaw.htm

Greg

Comment

By chance today I rescued several cypress knees from a pond cleaning job at a friend's house. He had a Sears reciprocal saw that went through the knees like butter. Item# 00917175000 | Model# 17175

Of course, you will need power to use this model. Might not be such a good choice out in the swamps.

I'm sure most of the box stores sell something similar.

I agree the chain saw would chew the wood.

elf1

Comment

Most people I know use a chain saw but a battery powered reciprocal saw should be just as good.

Comment

I use this saw 2491-22 M12 Red Lithium Impact Drill / Hackzall Reciprocating Saw Combo-2491-22 at The Home Depot, with a long blade, cuts fast and smooth. Watch for snakes, no joke

Dave

Comment

I found and cut some cypress knees back in March. We boiled them and the bark came right off with a pressure washer, doing no damage to the wood at all. I applied tung oil, polyurethane, lacquer. No luck. All have since molded. Is bleach in the boiling water the step that I missed? I really need to figure this out. Im in love with working with cypress knees.
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X