Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Butternut

HI all!

I'm new to the list, but have carved for several years. My favorite is chip carving crosses -- I've used a lot of butternut (nominally 1'), but am having a hard time finding butternut in anymore. Does anyone know of a source for butternut that will ship to Denver? Or does anyone have a suggestion for alternate wood (I really like the depth / richness of butternut, and the figure).

Thanks!

geppetto09

Re: Source for Butternut

Welcome geppetto. You'll get some great butternut any size you want shipped to you from:
    Dale Heinecke
    76-27 1/2 Avenue
    Cumberland, WI 54829
    Phone 715-822-8642

Comment

Hi geppeto...I'm just up the mountain from you....Slim's Woodshed has lots of butternut, I bought a chunk at the carvers show there in Denver...their address is...http://www.web-site.com/slimswoodshed/specials.htm

Comment

I have used a bit of Catalpa - it is similar to butternut in carve-ability and in grain pattern.  It is currently a healthy species, and most of the butternut is now in danger from borers (they make a lot of small to medium holes).  Catalpa might be available locally - as from a tree service, since these are often ornamental trees.  The trees are fairly easy to spot once you have identified one - they have really large, yellow-green, heart-shaped leaves, and the seed pods (probably all that remains on the trees right now) are long, brown, and cigar shaped.  As a kid, I lived in the Midwest, and we often called them 'cigar trees'.  I have even found catalpa suitable to carve somewhat green.  It finishes beautifully, either natural, or with very thin washes or glazes of color.  Good luck to you!!

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I will check out Slim's Woodshed, and Dale H in WI. I've heard of catalpa, but never carved it. I think I will find some, and give it a try. I've used mahogany, but just wasn't happy with the 'depth' and grain. Thanks again, all!

Comment

Before I order a bunch of it xxx how does catalpa carve with hand tools? Saw some picture of catalpa carvings and like the looks of the wood, but have never touched a piece.

Comment

It  (catalpa) carves great with knives and gouges - that is my preferred method for any carving.  I'm not sure you can order it - I have only found it locally (like I find someone cutting one down).  I've pretty well noticed most of the trees in our area, and I'm getting less shy about asking for some.  The most I've ever paid is firewood price.  Hope you like it!

Comment

For northern grown butternut, try Tuckaway Timber at:
                [email protected]. They are really friendly and helpful, as most are in the carving world.
                Matthew

Comment

Working...
                X