Pakka Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakka Wood

The handles for Helvie knives are Pakka Wood. I was curious and searched Pakka Wood on the internet to learn something about it. The only thing that I found was Pakka Wood to buy. I never did find out anything about Pakka Wood. Can anyone enlighten me?

Re: Pakka Wood

Jerry,

Pakka Wood is man made. I have made many knife handles from this type of material, which is also known as Dymond Wood. It's biggest claim to fame is it is inert, and although it works like wood, it will not warp, absorb water, etc.

It is made like plywood, and I believe it is formed with multi-color thin wood plys and resins and is formed under pressure. It comes in literally a rainbow of colors. It works just like a hard wood, can be cut, routed, etc, just like a hard wood. It does have a peculiar odor when cutting or sanding. If you have ever worked with resins or fiberglass, the smell will be familiar.

It is very pretty, as when you sand it, the different colors from each ply come out.

Tim

Comment

Thanks Tim. I guess I don't need to walk around looking for a Pakka tree. When I first thought about it, I wondered how the wood was dyed without any "bleed over". Well, now, I know.

Comment

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
        I just learned something

I thought there was a Pakka tree
        now I too know better

Comment

you finda da wood..you gotta pakka da wood!Red Face Ice Cream
          "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

You'll find the pakka trees right next the the spagetti plants just beyond the pasture where the brown cows for chocolate milk are kept.

Comment

I had some of those spaghetti plants! no good tho, the meat balls keep falling off the thing!Sad

Comment

Hey Ed
                I thoughtr surely dave would have some Pakka trees in his yard

Comment

Jester Wayne - I think that wood is between his ears.Monkey

Comment

Actually, Dymondwood is man-made, Pakka wood comes from one valley in the southern Andes. Each years growth ring is a different color and that is what makes the wood so vibrant and colorful.

Unfortunately Pakka trees are nearly extinct and ergo the reason for manufacturing Dymondwood.

In fact, the Pakka trees grow below the same mountain peaks where the Artic Banana tree grows.

Not familiar with the Artic Banana? It the best carving wood ever found, there is absolutely no grain direction; and the fine silica found in its fibers keeps your carving tools sharp. It never cracks during the drying process and the heartwood is the same color and consistancy as the sapwood.

While it is a rather short tree, it grows perfectly straight and can obtain diameters of up to six feet across at the base.

It's real value is the oil that is extracted from the fruit; it is said to be the finest lubricating oil ever discovered.

The problem is transporting it from the snow covered high Peruvian Andes where it grows about 1/4 mile above the treeline.

The only animal that can negotiate the steep icy mountain trails is the Alpaca (very similar to Llammas).

That is where the real problem arises, Alpacas are allergic to the oil and quickly loose their hair and freeze in the high mountains well above treeline.

The extreme value of the Artic Banana oil created the unique solution; the Peruvian woman collect the fallen hair from the Alpaca and spin it into yarn.
                    They then knit fine colorful coats for the Alpaca to wear on their trips up the mountains.

I have seen the coats myself and I tell you, some folks can really spin a fine yarn.

Comment

Groan .....

Comment

and I thought my spaghetti and meatball bushes were bad! Cheers

Comment

Groan....where do these guys come from!!!Head Bange

Good one Rick.....good way to start a day.....with a smile! Thanks.

Bob
                          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

very Good Rick

Comment

Wow... only on the site about a week and I already feel in over my head!Apple Gonna have to get me some of that there Bananna Tree Wood. Sounds Teriffic!

God Bless,
                              Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X