Allergic to Basswood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic to Basswood

I have been carving for 15-20 yrs. This past year or so I find when I carve it has affected my throat and nose and stays with me for days.It got to the point I think I will have to give it up.I am thinking of going to a Allergy doctor to make sure that thats the problem.I have over 400 carvings and can't think of giving up.
    Has anyone else had this problem with basswood.Any suggestions? Thanks

Re: Allergic to Basswood

There may be other explanations for your nose and throat irritations. Are you carving in the same way and locale as the last 15-20 years? Has your source of basswood changed? Have you developed other medical conditions in recent years? I'm sure your doctor can help solve the problem without giving up your carving hobby.

Comment

Basswood is one of the least reactive woods, but if you've been exposed to something that sensitizes you, almost any wood can cause a problem.

Are you power carving it?

Best Regards,
      Bob Duncan
      Technical Editor

Comment

Shimmy, I always have sinus problems, I got checked last year to find out if Basswood was causing any of the problems. It wasn't, but they can't pinpoint what is causing the problem?

Dave

Comment

The thing is ,I am fine.then I sit down and start carving and 1/2 hour or so I feel my throat drying and the next day or so i'm whistling when I'm breathing.Been using Heinecke's wood for over 10 yrs. I will Stop till it feels okay and try again.

Comment

I have that with pine. Nice to have as a cabinetmaker! But basswood doesn't bother me. Do you have the same reaction to butternut? Tupelo? Aspen? These might be viable options...

Comment

I have not worked with those other woods. But I had a problem 20 yrs ago with mohagony. So I gave that up right away. I let you know if I find out anything.

Comment

Do not discount the possibilities of MOLD on/in the wood. Might also consider fumigation agents for killing bugs.
                You will probably have to do your own detective work to track it down. I had the allergy scratch test some time ago, they didn't test for specific wood species anything other than "hardwood pollen"....
                I guess the next time I carve twigs with tree flowers on them, I will be very conscious about what kind of twigs/flowers so I can report to my dermatologist....

Comment

Like Bob suggested do have you recently worked with any specific species other than basswood? Some woods can make you sensitive to stuff that has never bothered you before.
                  Carl

Comment

I have been carving for well over 10 years...probably longer, and recently, within the past year or so, I have developed a problem with basswood....not the throat so much as the nose and sinus.....even the outside of my nose starts itching something awful......wear a mask! We don't think much of protection for basswood because its been thought of as negligible allegen..but maybe we are too careless using it? imho
                    "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I would wear a mask and gloves before giving it all up. I am allergic to cedar, redwood, and butternut for sure, an a little sensitive to sugar pine. So far the basswood is not a problem, but I would consider the gloves and mask before I up and quit. Good luck to you!

Comment

Do you power carve? Dust can be a big problem no matter what kind of wood. I can't remember the name of a site that lists which woods are irritants and which can be dangerous, maybe someone can repost that link. I don't remember bass wood being an irritant. Good luck on figuring this out.

Comment

I worked with a guy at a wood working shop and he was the same way with bass wood. He ended up carving with butternut to avoid his problem..

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. No, I do not power carve.I still am suffering with the cough. When it is gone I will try again.To see if it is the basswood.

Comment

Shimmy,
                              Do you carve in the same place? Is there any mold in that area? Air ducts, walls etc, Maybe its not the wood but the environment.
                              Bill K.
                              Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Working...
                              X