Question about wood for practice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about wood for practice

Thanks everyone again. I sent an email to Dan. Told him I'd pick up around 70 dollars worth of wood to get started. i'd like to get about twice that much, but i don't think my significant other would like that. Especially if some came anywhere close to baseball bat shaped. she might smack me

Looking forward to it. I'm funny about things like this, once i find a vendor I'm happy with, I stick with them. loyalty goes a long ways in this world, even if what seems to be the other 90% think

Comment

Johnny just for your info and the fact you mentioned Lowes. Lowes carries Aspen in different thickness and withes.
      Larry

Comment

Hot Springs Arkansas???Hot Springs Virginia???

just curious....if it's Virginia, I can show you some really neat carving wood....

Comment

If it's wood, carve it. Check out some of my vids on YouTube I used some awful scrap wood. If it's just to practice, it doesn't matter what it is. Some pine can cause you problems with the grain and hard woods can be real tedious and hurt your hand after a while but you may prefere the look of the finished product, plus you can usually pick it up for free! Plus, carving different woods will make you more aware of grain, wood types and probably make you appreciate bass wood even more!

Comment

Just a follow up, I got a response from Heineke and here is what I got:

Ten-3/8x6x12s Ten- 1/2x6x12s and a couple 2x2x12s

Does that sound right for $70 shipped? That comes to around 3.20 each including shipping which sounds pretty good. I approved the order and am excited to get some nice pieces to carve. I want to make something that's actually a finished product so having some decent pieces will help

Comment

Originally posted by CutMarks View Post
              If it's wood, carve it. Check out some of my vids on YouTube I used some awful scrap wood. If it's just to practice, it doesn't matter what it is. Some pine can cause you problems with the grain and hard woods can be real tedious and hurt your hand after a while but you may prefere the look of the finished product, plus you can usually pick it up for free! Plus, carving different woods will make you more aware of grain, wood types and probably make you appreciate bass wood even more!
              I will try that. Thanks, i'll follow up after I check out a couple vids

Comment

follow up on wood.

When I ordered my new knives I also ordered 5 boards from mychipcarving.

I'll post about the knives in another thread (but suffice to say I am LOVING these chip carving knives) but for the price, the boards at mychipcarving are going to be pretty dang hard to beat. they are great quality, and i really enjoyed dealing with Marty and Bethany

Comment

If you have a local hardwoods lumbar yard in your area, generally they will carry basswood in board feet at prices that are hard to beat. You might have to pick through it to find pieces that you like but if cost is what you trying to address, you should do well there and you won' t be paying for shipping. In my neck of the woods, I won't find basswood at the yard as good as what I will get from Heineke's for example but it will be very good and quite a bit less costly. Often I can even carve regular pieces out of the best of the basswood I get from the yard.

Where the cost benefit becomes really apparent is in thicker blocks or boards. As you move up in thickness the cost really climbs. So getting a break on 4" x 9" blocks for example can really make s big difference. I carve realistic 3D carvings. So I found myself moving up in thickness pretty quickly as my skills improved. Some folks like to use adhesives and make thicker pieces out of thinner stock. I really don't like doing it but I don't have a good reason for that. Just prefer to start with wood that is the right thickness.

I agree with all the comments about "practicing" in the wood you are going to carve in regularly.
                  Providing

Comment

I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but here the wood vendors that show up at the carving shows always have boxes of basswood (and sometimes butternut and other woods) cutoffs that sell for less than a dollar. Great for small projects and "practice wood". I'm sure mail-order sources have these too if you ask.

Comment

I don't care which wood you're into.
                      You have got to have a "try-stick" or some other scrap of that wood to see what your tools make for marks. There is no other possible way to get this done.

Look. Some carvers belive that my obsession with carving western red cedar borders on a personality flaw. I like that. Over the years, I have "learned the wood" to the point that a lot of what I can do now is not what I could have done even 5 years ago.

Yeah, I practice the cuts. See how they go, see how they work, see how they look.
                      Maybe, I don't get what I expect. So be it. I'll gnaw at my try-stick agaon tomorrow.

I've been into the "crooked kinfe" thing for a few years. Amazing versatility and function.
                      Some day, I'll be happy to spell it out for the knife-only tribe.

In the meantime, do a little work on your own.
                      Figure out what works and what doesn't
                      Some cuts, you're just butting your head into a post.
                      Do somethign else.
                      I'm just getting started but I believe that great carvers
                      learned to know what to expect from their woods.

Or, carve soap.

Comment

Robson it appears red cedar is not your only obsession - I rarely see a post where you don't mention your beloved crooked knives!

Comment

Basswood has been used for happiness for woodcarving. During the Middle Ages, it was the preferred wood of German sculptors who crafted elaborate altarpieces. It’s an excellent wood for practicing because it’s soft and doesn’t have much grain.

Comment

Johnny Lowes does have Aspen wood although I am on the side of the folks who have suggested Basswood.
                            Larry

Comment

Practice with what you are going to be carving with. Basswood will cost around $8.00 per board foot, roughly. Smaller practice sticks seem cheap, but actually cost more per board foot when figured than larger sticks.

I buy mine in 4X4X48" sticks...I cut all my blanks and practice sticks from those sticks...

Comment

Working...
                              X