I'm looking for Cottonwood Root

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for Cottonwood Root

I can't find cottonwood root. Does anyone have any?

Re: I'm looking for Cottonwood Root

I gotta ask? what for & why?

My harvesting suggestion: = Dynamite! Talking

Comment

probably because thats the wood of choice for kachina's?

Comment

Also some Santeros also use it.
        Mel

Comment

I need it for carving kachinas. I'm having a hard time finding some.

Comment

crystal,

elwood troll from this fourm sent me some cottonwood bark, he wnet to colorado to harvest it.
            might give him a holler as he might know about some cottonwood stumps that were uprooted in a storm or otherwise obtainable.

Comment

Just as an aside on Kachina carving. I just visited the Gene Autry museum in Los Angeles which was having an American Indian show of American Indian Art including carved Kachina's. There were numerous books available on Kachina dolls. Interesting reading. One of the things that was mentioned in several of the books was that the Indians had federal legislation passed that only Indians may add real feathers to Kachina dolls and it is a federal crime for non-Indians to add real feathers. I thought at first it was just eagle feathers but on further reading you could not even use sparrow feathers unless you were an Indian native. Based upon further reading it is obvious that native American Indians feel quite strongly that no one but Indians should carve Kachinas due to their religious significance. The authors recommended that no one should buy or publicly display any Kachina unless it was carved by an native American Indian. I had been wanting to carve them but decided that if they felt that strongly about it I would let them have their Kachinas and I would concentrate on Cowboys.

Comment

Crystal,
                Talk about a sensitive subject, Uh oh. Since I live in Flagstaff where Kachina's are widely available, and I drive five days a week between the Hopi Mesa's and the Peaks where they are now residing and are in the middle of doing their thing; I will try to make a few points to the best of my knowledge. Which is probably limited.
                Kachina's are part of Hopi culture and a few other Pueblo Tribes. They have little to nothing to do with the Navajo/Dine or any other tribe that I am aware of. Yes; absolutely, they are unhappy with anyone [Anglo or Native] that rips off their culture for profit.
                It has always been my understanding that they never accurately reproduce any of the carvings that are for sale to Behannas [Anglos]
                and in fact, are usually vague about many aspects of their religion. A good example is that it is difficult to attend their dances, sometimes impossible. Fair enough.
                As far as the feathers, I never heard that one, but I know they have complicated arrangements with the Gov. Besides; one style of kachina carving uses no feathers. They are instead, long and thin and painted in thin washes of natural or earth tone colors. I have always liked them best.
                I think in a nut shell, the Hopi have a very strong desire to be respected, share parts of their culture; but also protect an important source of income. Poverty vs. Dignity is always in the balance to maintain a pretty hard way of life by most of our standards.
                Having said that; I think it is possible to carve Kachinas as a way to pay respect. I have seen many fine Kachinas carved by non Hopis over the years and see no problem with it. I have always left it alone though.
                So any way Crystal, the point of all of this is that while I have no cottonwood root, I do have several pieces of fresh aspen root drying as we speak. They are of the same tree family and probably quite similar. I have never carved any root, maybe some one has an opinion on that. I am so far behind on projects that I do not know when I will get around to the roots, so you are welcome to take a whack at it. I have a piece about 24'' long and some smaller pieces about 8''. Probably the best thing is for you to PM me with what you want or have in mind, and I will ship them to you. No money, just interested in how it turns out.
                Jim

Comment

I have some cottonwood root. If interested contact me off list via e-mail to:
                  albisso@bresnan.net

Comment

What size and how much?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockwhisperer View Post
                      What size and how much?
                      You do realize that you are answering a post that is over 10 yrs. old?
                      Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Working...
                      X