No announcement yet.

Patriot Bear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big and beautiful. Glad you are posting again. Always enjoy seeing your work.
    Joe

Comment

Some carvings just have to be big for serious statements.
      As you worked, how did you judge when to sharpen your saw(s)?

Comment

That is a good question and like any other tool they work much better when they are sharp, I know the standard answer is when the chain produces dust and not slivers its dull. I don't allow my chain to get that dull if its making dust its very dull. For me when the chain digs in and pulls the motor towards the wood and you have that perfect balance of chain speed and rate of cut. As anyone I have been known to work with a dull tool to get to a certain place. I do file the rakes down and ever so slight take the back off the cutter off and this allows the bite that I look for along with a sharp cutter

Comment

You know what I am talking about taking the back off the cutter tooth? The part of the bar you are not supposed to use but do, if you are carving with the saw. What happens is the back of the cutter will ever so slight push the next cutter instead of biting in the same thing a too high rake will do. I back all mine off a 1/6" this is not for everyone and I don't want novice chainsaw carver to do it. You know only if you are comfortable using the saw tip and can control the kick back. I know that you could but the grabby thing may not be your thing with the saw

Comment

Working...
          X