Does my piece have bugs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does my piece have bugs?

Hi all! Just joined looking for advice. My husband bought me this piece and we brought it home about 3 weeks ago. Today I spotted this hole in the back and it wasn’t here when we got in. Does my piece have some sort of bug eating it’s way out? I’m seriously freaking out that my piece is going to be filled with bugs, then chewed to pieces and I’m going to have random bugs in my house. Help!

Seems I heard something about putting a buggy piece of wood in the microwave---for how long ?????. I'm some of our pros will get you straight
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
      Seems I heard something about putting a buggy piece of wood in the microwave---for how long ?????. I'm some of our pros will get you straight
      I probably should have mentioned it’s 4 foot tall.

Comment

I don't know if it's effective, but on a forum for clock collectors/repairers, it was suggested at one time that wormy wooden clock cases could be treated by putting them in plastic trash bags with mothballs. After any treatment, I'd suggest putting the piece on a surface that would show any sawdust produced by active critters for a period of time before allowing it back into your home.
        Arthur

Comment

The hole looks like the work of wood-boring bees. I've had them riddle an outdoor cedar table. They are black and the size of bumblebees. If they're active you should see one or more flying in the area. Most any insect spray should stop them.

Comment

Ditto what Phil said. Most likely Carpenter Bees. You can usually spot them hovering in the vicinity of the hole. I have tried to swat them and they avoid me and just return to hovering. They are not aggressive and do not retailiate.
            Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Yep, carpenter bees make one heckuva big hole...they do a number on the eaves of our house and shed each year, and paint doesn't stop 'em. We use a badminton racquet to swat them. But no mention was made of this being an outdoor piece, and momof2 did say she was fearful of bugs "in my house."
              Last edited by Arthur C.; 08-15-2018, 06:16 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
              Arthur

Comment

Agree on carpenter bees if the hole is a little small then a dime....we have them also. On note< if they were in there for a while...they make one heck of a tunnel. If you bought the piece three weeks ago and have not seen any bees coming and going then they are dead,.... but I would then seal the hole with a wood putty....so it will not get any other kind of bugs making it a home. The bees got into one of my outdoor statues ....they love mango.

Comment

This is inside my house. I didn’t want it outside due to it be stolen, weather etc

Comment

This is the whole piece.

Comment

If the piece is kept indoors then I would guess powder post beetles. Google it.
                      Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

But∙∙∙∙how does she get rid of the rascals?
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

First, get it outside. Depending on where you live, put it in a plastic garbage bag, seal it tight, then put it in the sun. If all that doesn't work, you could use an insect fogger/ "bomb," and put it into a plastic bag before releasing it.

A visit to the local pest control place might also be in order.

Regardless, I'd get it outside ASAP.
                          Bill
                          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Put a snort of bug-killer in the hole! That's where they live/lived.
                            Then plug the hole with a wad of nose-blow tissue.
                            Gassing the whole thing can't be economical.

Your deep freeze is also your friend.
                            Brian T

Comment

email-carpenter-bee-holes-img_1408.jpgThis is a picture of carpenter bee holes. You can tell by the fact that they are round. Now if you bought it three weeks ago....and its in the house. The person that you bought it from had it outside at some point and time. If the bees were still in the bear statue they would come out the minute you picked up the statue. They are gone. Unless you have giant powder puff beetles which I have never heard of....you do not need to bug spray it or freeze it. Unless you think it has other bugs inside?

Comment

Working...
                              X