Metal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal

I very rarely carve a log that don't have metal in it and when you do hit metal and its too old to pull out like this had to be 100 years ago but still tore my chain up. I found a grinder wheel that will chew right through metal its the nugget wheel from wood carvers supply. The worst wheel you can hit metal with is an expensive kutzall or saburr it will knock the spikes off of it.

Have you not got some sort of a metal detector? Man, that would spoil my wallet.

I use a Lil Wizard to find steel shot in Canada Geese as I'm cleaning them.
    The test was to find a steel BB in a pound of hamburger.
    Brian T

Comment

I had some Redwood short logs (left overs) after my stack was stolen one weekend while away - the trees removed for the septic and house. So the short logs built a number of items, one of which I still use today almost 30 years ago. New house I bought and moved in.. In that wood the saw man found a pistol and a knife. I bought several blades that week! They were really gone, the acid of the tree was melting them down. As for you hunters with steel shot - they make screw driver sized metal detectors encased in plastic. Might be something to think about after a dentist visit.

Comment

I should look into buying a better steel detector for the birds.
        The "Little Wizard" was originally designed to find construction nails in wooden, stick-frame house walls.

All of North America gradually converted from lead to "non-toxic shot" for hunting migratory waterfowl.
        There's a bunch of things like Hevi-Shot, tungesten copolymer, bismuth and steel shot is the cheapest.

The deal is, ducks were getting poisoned by picking up decades of lead shot around ponds while foraging for food.
        If you were hunting with #4-size lead shot, 4 pellets will poison a duck of any species.
        I used to do all my grouse hunting with #7 1/2 lead trap loads, both 12ga and 20ga.
        I wondered about forest scavengers after I field-dress a bird so I got into the habit of shooting #6 steel, instead.
        The shells go "bang" like all the others.
        The Little Wizard, can't "see" a #6 steel pellet. Too small, I guess.
        Brian T

Comment

Working...
        X