Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I store this started really wet carving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinwood
    replied
    Yup, definitely an acorn. Keep the pics coming.

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    You are doing fantastic work there, autobodymman. I have some carved gnomes on a shelf near me that don't look happy when they see your projects,.because they wonder why I don't do the same. Excellent work!

Leave a comment:

• autobodyman
    replied
    I imagine I'm boring everyone with these posts, if you all would rather I just post the finished projects let me know and won't do the progress stuff again?

Making some progress on bird/gnome house number 3. Couldn't find a log the right size around my place, went out to a logger friends work yard and found one, called him to see if I could steal it, he said go ahead. It was 11" in diameter and 14" long. I needed the finished diameter to be 9¾" to match up with the "acorn" cap.

1BH16.jpg
    The log after chainsawing of the ends (they were moldy) and debarking and rounded off.

1BH17.jpg
    Moisture content is a bit high.

1BH18.jpg
    A few "noodles" I had to stop and clean them up a couple times I was running out of maneuvering room.

1BH19.jpg
    I've never really turned pine much, never made a bowl out of one anyway. I was afraid of the wood being to soft to lathe like I do a bowl (with just support on one side). So my bowl gouge wasn't big enough for this. I had a long piece of mild steel so I cut it on an angle and sharpened it.

1BH20.jpg
    Kind of freaky, down to about 3/8" still connected at the bottom.

1BH20a.jpg
    Got this side down to about 3/4" and it started to wobbled so I stopped the lathe and cut it off with a handsaw.

1BH21.jpg
    Sitting on the "cap" I haven't finished carving yet. I think it will kind of look like an acorn?

1BH22.jpg
    This is a container I used about 5 years ago when I made a bunch of bowls from storm damage trees. It had 5 gallon of denatured alcohol in it back then, even with the lid on most has evaporated and I only had 1 gallon on hand. I'll have to get more tomorrow so it's completely covered to displace the water in the wood.

1BH23.jpg
    15 gallons of mulch once it dries.

Still have to finish carving the cap, add a door, cut windows in the top, finish installing all the solar lights. Getting closer to done though. For a project I thought would take a weekend, this is taking a lot longer than I thought. I have much appreciation for you chainsaw carvers that whip out a bear in half a day.

Thanks ~Mike

Leave a comment:

• autobodyman
    replied
    Thanks Joe.
    Got the second birdhouse mounted to the tree, painted the windows and trim on the tree and started on the final bird/gnome house. Trying to make it look like a giant acorn upside down.
    1BH01.jpg
    A piece of Siberian Elm that I blocked off a couple years back and sealed with wax. Using one of my bowl patterns to cut it out.
    1BH02.jpg
    Mounted in the lathe with my screw on faceplate.

1BH04.jpg
    The top of the acorn (well it will be the bottom as it will be an upside down acorn).

1BH05.jpg
    Lathed out some from this side, the wood was a little out of balance and I thought this might help when I turn it around.

1BH07.jpg
    Mounted on my lathe chuck doveltail jaws that fit the dovetail tenon I cut while on the other way.

1BH08.jpg
    Need to remove the center and deepen this so the bottom and sides are around 3/4 inch thick.

1BH09.jpg
    Pretty close to 3/4" thick threw out.

1BH10.jpg
    I hope it doesn't break as easily as the piece it came out of.

1BH11.jpg
    Just sitting on the branch I will need to do a little carving on the tree to make it sit level.

1BH12.jpg
    I'll probably extend the "stem" a bit, probably carve a diamond pattern into it as well. The top could be interesting to make as I don't think I have a large enough piece of wood so may have to glue some blocks together.

What do you think?
    Thanks ~Mike

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Boy, you're spoiling the birds in your neighborhood.

Leave a comment:

• autobodyman
    replied
    Thanks guys. Got the second bird/gnome house mostly done, lack putting superdeck oil on it. I need to wait for the glue to dry. I'm also waiting on the solar lights I ordered to figure that part out.
    2BH01.jpg
    Built the roof so it just sit on the house, for easier access

2BH02.jpg
    It's all made out of Cedar, except the flower boxes which are redwood, and the flowers. They are Tulipwood and aspen.

2BH06.jpg
    Used my hunter green shop trim paint on the trim.

2BH08.jpg
    Bird perch, the hole is 2" in diameter, though I don't know what kind of bird that lives around here would use this.

2BH09.jpg
    It's 24 inches long, 12 inches tall and 10 inches wide.

2BH10.jpg
    Made the front sort of like I want to do over the door on my woodshop someday.

2BH11.jpg
    My branch is a bit on the thin side, I'm not sure this will hold in a wind or if birds actually live in it. I guess if it breaks I can notch it and add a piece of metal.

2BH12.jpg
    Took me most of the day finished up about 2am, it's dark out ;-)

2BH13.jpg
    One more to go. Was hoping to do a turned one, kind of depends on if I can find the wood I want to do it.

What do you think?
    Thanks ~Mike

Leave a comment:

• Bob Younger
    replied
    Nice work! Looks great and nice use of the tree

Leave a comment:

• sappy
    replied
    Looking good! I agree with you, a little darkening of the window frames would look nice, I'd think stain.

Leave a comment:

• autobodyman
    replied
    I moisture tested the largest chunk of waste I had from this and it measured out at 41%, course it's been outside all this time and we've had rain and high humidity.

I decided to go ahead and do the siding. Below the windows went pretty quick.
    BH030.JPG

A little slower going around the 6 windows.
    BH31.JPG

A bit of sanding and another coat of Superdeck natural.
    BH34.JPG
    Looks like I need to add another "siding" piece to the top section.

BH33.JPG
    Still thinking about using a darker stain or paint on the window frames?

Thanks ~Mike

Leave a comment:

• autobodyman
    replied
    Thanks Joe, Yea, it's not throwing water anymore. I did use the chainsaw again to deepen the inside of the roof and though my blade started to steam towards the end it wasn't throwing water. Still pretty green/damp yet. I stuck my moisture meter into it and it reads around 16% however I have oiled this several times so I don't know how that effects the reading.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Very nice, how is the spitting coming, under control?

Leave a comment:

• autobodyman
    replied
    Thanks guys.

Some more progress on the Gnome house.
    image_17263.jpg
    Pretty crude, should have flattened before jigsawing. Following all my wavy chainsaw work made the window holes uneven.

image_17262.jpg
    7 half inch dowels, some exterior wood glue to put the sections back together.

image_17269.jpg
    Clamped up overnight.

image_17270.jpg
    Routered out a spot for a solar panel for lights inside. Grooved the roof with a 4" grinder and a Kutzel disc.

image_17264.jpg
    Drew lines on for siding, not sure I want to spend another 3 or 4 hours on this though. The grinder is quick but not going to work around the window frames, that will take more effort. Think it's worth it or would you just sand off or wood burn the lines?

image_17266.jpg
    Using a lot of deck oil trying to keep this from exploding.

image_17268.jpg
    I used 2 dowels to align the roof, not going to glue it down though so I can more easily replace the solar lights when they fail and they will. Always do.

image_17271.jpg
    I'm thinking of using walnut stain on the window frames so they stand out more from a distance?

image_17267.jpg
    I really thought this would be a weekend project, I guess I'm just getting slow in my old age. Still have two other houses to make, thinking kiln dried cedar for one, maybe turn a round one in my lathe for the other.

What do you think? Thanks ~Mike
    Last edited by autobodyman; 08-11-2019, 06:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    that is an excellent project. I love it !

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    I don't think the birds will mind a few cracks if the develope, Good job

Leave a comment:

• autobodyman
    replied
    Borrowed my dad's tractor for another project so I used it to get the birdhouse on the tree to mark the location to cut threw to line up with the steps. I put the 3 pieces in the bucket, raised it up then climbed in and set the pieces together on the tree.I wanted it to look reasonably level though my chainsaw work on the birdhouse is anything but square and level. I know this is going to crack, but I put some deck oil on it hoping it at least won't crack to the point of falling apart. I would have done the denatured alcohol thing like we do on the bowls but my container I use for bowls is way to small to get this in. Besides I don't have the patience to wait a month to finish this. Do you think this is going to explode?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X