New to chainsaw carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to chainsaw carving

Hi everybody, I'm new to chainsaw carving but have carved with hand tools on and off over the years. Walking sticks, woodspirits etc, seems like just as I start getting good at it something pops up and derails me. Lol

I am familiar with running and using a saw currently I run an old shindawa 488 at least 20yrs old. Runs good! It has a 20 inch bar .325 pitch 50 guage 78 links.

can I find a quarter bar with a .325 pitch 50 guage 12inch to run? Do they even make such a bar, chain set up? Trying to get started and see if I like it or have enought talent to make it worth the jing$$$

I bought some carving discs on amazon for cheap, they will be here tomorrow. Which brings up my next question. When I use the chain saw disc I should take the guard off right ?and I will have better control with one hand?

hahaha just joking that thing looks serious! I'm going to respect the heck out of that tool. The one that bolts on the chainsaw looks safer. Back to my real question.
    so I have a 20 volt dewalt drill, and two batts so I was going to get the cordless dewalt angle grinder has anybody used the cordless dewalt and did it work well for you.

so far it seems that carving bigger stuff is eaiser than small stuff I don't know maybe its just me.

glad to find a place to learn and share.

mick

Welcome, Mick, don't do any chainsaw work though some should check in.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

We hope to help you answer your questions, Mick, but the focus should be on the desired carving results rather than the equipment. Find an example of the "thing" you want to chainsaw out of wood. Choose an appropriate chunk of wood, a place to work on it, and a way to secure it while working. Don't expect your initial chainsaw carvings to justify your investment.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
        We hope to help you answer your questions, Mick, but the focus should be on the desired carving results rather than the equipment. Find an example of the "thing" you want to chainsaw out of wood. Choose an appropriate chunk of wood, a place to work on it, and a way to secure it while working. Don't expect your initial chainsaw carvings to justify your investment.
        Sounds like sage advice. Some times I make things more complicated than they need to be.
        Thanks

Comment

Welcome aboard the forum Mick. if you have a dig back therough a lot of the posts in this section you will find a LOT of really useful information which will help you nail it. Look forward to seeing your work.

Comment

You should be able to find a 12" quarter tip, but run 3/8 Lp on it. I have never seen one with .325, but then I never looked.

Comment

Carve without power as much as with - they teach each other*. About grinders - Stick to corded tools except for fast touch ups when power carving, and carving wheels I’ll only trust King Arthur tools or kutzall etc allied businesses. The first next thing I’d suggest is a 1/4” die grinder and kutzall or similar maker course roughing ball or barrel. Angle grinders stay corded. I’ll only use my battery makitas for quick stuff they won’t last for big work. As far as bars and saws you’ll find all that on various forums pages and pages of it. Oh yea about 25 yrs ago I used the proxxon angle neck grinder that has a 2” chainsaw wheel. That thing was way worth the $. I went through 3 of them but worth it if you start selling work often enough to feed your tool buying habit. Grab some good chisels too if you don’t have some already. A big sweep 3-4” wide, big U gouge and a V. Watch your toes and fingers. I’d be happy to keep rambling about it ahead if you like. You didn’t mean strictly saw carving so Ask me more. I’m new here on this forum but been saw carving and power and chisel and just knives from 1993 ouch how’d that happen. I could probably make a better list for you. But please go real slow and don’t trust the cheap wheels. Stick with quality wait if you can’t afford King Arthur tools and kutzall etc stay way from the $4 chainsaw angle grinder wheels. My 2c
              have fun go slow then slow that down. Don’t fly back and forth with power cut away from much as possible or with the grain when possible. I have 2 sweatshirts that ate angle grinders playing that game. Dime and quarter tip saws really only help me when I’m strictly saw carving and not using grinders or arbor tech super doohickys. Haha today I spend a few months a year with no power except for blocking out chunks. Happy to talk more and pass on anything I can think of.

P.J. Miles
              Last edited by Flukeskywalker; 01-25-2022, 05:36 PM.

Comment

I’ll add some pictures tomorrow for you Mick. I’ll add which wheels have lasted 20 years like the 2 Stack lancelot and which ones tried to bite me and why. Flapper discs are your friends too. Again can’t say enough about the proxxon 2 or 3” angle disc grinder or air grinders. Now mainly head strait to chisels after saws but for years I flew by with those small wheels. After a while chisels will be faster and cleaner. Hope some of this helps.

Comment

For anyone who is interested in learning how to carve with a Chainsaw, I would recommend to go to a Chainsaw Carving Event, you can see all the equipment that you will need, most of the carvers share their experience and would be glad to answer any questions
                  Edgard.

Comment

Working...
                  X