Chainsaw Carving red pine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chainsaw Carving red pine

I am new to chainsaw carving and was wondering how Red pine is to work with. The last wood I was using was eastern Hemlock and I had some minor cracking but nothing major. I was hoping red pine is better. Please let me know. Thanks

There are tremendous forces in every wood as the water evaporates. Maybe crack a lot, maybe crack a little, depends a lot on the history of the log and the current conditions. First Nations carving sheds for poles are never heated for that reason. Must be like working in your fridge some days.

Paint the ends to slow the cut-end water loss. Any old paint or glue will do fine. Maybe strip the bark (how big a piece is this?)

Even some of my 36" red cedar carvings have cracked a lot but they were always meant to live out doors. I like the look of age. Concentrate on the carvings and ignore the cracks.
    Brian T

Comment

I’m not a chainsaw carver but but if you carve green wood there is a good chance it will crack as it drys. Had a chainsawer tell me once he consider the cracking was part of the charm, added “you just hope the eagles wing don’t fall off”.

Comment

Red pine rots quickly and is softer than hemlock. We used hemlock for decking and trim work on camps before pressure treated wood. Red pine carves okay and hold detail but wouldn't last long in the elements.

Comment

Working...
        X