Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark01
    replied
    If you are searching for best chainsaw for carving then you must Xxx.....
    Last edited by Donna_T; 01-03-2021, 02:15 PM. Reason: First and only two postings have little to do with wood carving and advertise a personal site. Warning given.

Leave a comment:

• snyder
    replied
    Re: best chainsaw carving wood?

cool.. thanks i will try it out... i have been busy with work lately... and i am about to be a dad, so i need to get my basement remodel done FAST... wish i had a new full time Job...

Leave a comment:

• Rwenzoski
    replied

Hi Snyder, The best tool I have found to date is a large broad axe or any broad axe but I prefer mine which is about 10" across the face & is approximately 250 years old also. There are other tools for peeling or removing bark, bark spud, mechanics gasket scrapers, chisels or the chainsaw with your oldest chain on it. It is good practice to keep an old or a couple of old chains that are almost worn out just for this purpose & I normally try the broad axe first but if it is going to take a long time to peel i get the saw out & use the rule of thumb of "always pulling clean wood into the cut" remove it this way then maybe clean up with an angle grinder with a Saburrtooth disc after if necessary?
    Hope this helps you out?
    Thanks, Robbin

Leave a comment:

• snyder
    replied

@ Robbin... so is there another option for getting rid of the bark besides buying one of those expensive attachments .... or faster than a 4 in grinder??

Leave a comment:

• Rwenzoski
    replied

Hi Snyder, This means to never put the bottom of the bar whereas the chain is pulling the dirty wood, bark, rocks, etc into the cut. If the log,wood is dirty remove the bark, dirt, etc. first or just using the tip of the bar cit into the clean top of the log with he tip not extending out enough to drag the dirty wood from the other side of the log into the cut. This is something I teach my students & is one of the most valuable lessons to save your body, bars & chains but pretty well takes a hands on session to learn as it is hard to explain without demonstrating it fully?
    Thanks, Robbin

Leave a comment:

• snyder
    replied

@ Robbin.... so is "pulling clean wood into the cut" a method of starting the cut towards the base of the bar and then pull the chainsaw back towards you to the end of the bar?

Leave a comment:

• Rwenzoski
    replied

If you practice the method of "always pulling clean wood into the cut" this will prolong the sharpness of your chains for ages. Many never know what a sharp chain is like because it only takes a split second to dull a sharp chain if you pull the cutters through dirty bark or wood. It takes a bit of planning & experimenting to learn this but if practiced it becomes second nature & then the second you slip up is when you realize, **** chain is instantly dull!
    Hope this helps?
    Thanks, Robbin

Leave a comment:

• chipmunk
    replied

hi, welcome to the board..

Leave a comment:

• snyder
    replied

Thanks robbin...
    But I'm not familiar with that saying..... and I have a garage and a non insulated shed... will that do for "drying"

Leave a comment:

• Rwenzoski
    replied

Hi Again Snyder! I agree with what Don has said that any wood is good wood. I started out using mostly Pine & Spruce due to them being much softer to work with & was a little nervous to try any hard woods, but now a few years later I use pretty well all hardwoods as they allow you to go much farther with the details using a carving saw & are much better for lasting & minimal checking as compared to the soft woods. The trick is to know how to keep your saw sharp, not only by sharpening but the techniques used to "always pull clean wood into the cut"! I don;t hesitate to try any wood I find or have offered to me, even Willow, Hemlock & Poplar & the trick to them is drying them slow & properly!
    Thanks, Robbin

Leave a comment:

• snyder
    replied

Wow... thanks everyone.. well i live in omaha nebraska and my mother in law has an acreage FULL of pine... so thats what i have been using mostly... it seems to be very forgiving and easier to cut, very soft... The Oak bench i made was fun too... love the grain patterns. Plus i just recieved a phone call from my buddy while writing this "reply" who just got a truck load of wood of different varities and told me to come and load up my truck!!!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf Coast Handyman
    replied

Welcome to the forum.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Gergie
    replied

Hello snyder, around the Midwest I see guys using pine, Red cedar, Ash,, but I don't do chain saw carving TC gill is new to the board but is a chain saw guy so contact him if you'd like. http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...st-post-36313/
    I see some other great advice from mojavezig and, Donsexton. also good luck.

Leave a comment:

• mojavezig
    replied

I live in South Dakota and I'm guessing the wood varities are about the same as you have available? Like Don has said they're all good if you have a chain saw. I would like to carve with more pine, but it's not readily available here. Experiment with what's available near you. Half the fun is learning... Stay away from Cottonwood though because you never know what the end result will be. It has too much moisture even when its dried or seasnoned. You can finish a piece and return to it a couple days later and have four or five pieces from all the " checking" and cracking. It's only good for firewood. Box Elder and Willow have similiar characteristics, but not quite as bad. I've had real good luck with Ash and Oak and they seem to be common to the area. Walnut is nice too if you find someone who doesn't know they're sitting on a gold mine? Elm can work too if you let it cure or dry for a reasonable time. Good Luck and drop a line if you learn about something I haven't discovered yet.... It would be nice to live a little closer to a pine forrest.

Leave a comment:

• Donsexton
    replied

I like to say any wood that you can get is good carving wood. I live in the Deep Dirty South and the exception to my rule is fresh cut yellow pine. I like oak but some chainsaw carvers don’t because its very heavy for example a log big enough to carve a 6’ bear will weigh over 1000 pounds. If you have a tractor or forklift no big deal otherwise you need to look at handling.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X