Carving in Scotland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving in Scotland

Hi guys and greetings from north east Scotland!
    I just founfdthis forum and thought i would post a couple of pics (and a facebook link, i hope thats ok? Dervish Carving | Facebook )
    I started carving in March this year so my work is not that advanced yet but I am slowly learning

I tend to carve using a husky 18inch bar for the rough cuts and then a stihl with a 10 inch quarter-tip for the detail work. I only got the stihl recently, most of my work was done with the husky... the carving bar certainly makes it easier

Some of my stuff i finish with a angle grinder with a sanding-disc or i leave it rough
    anyway, I would love some feedback on my stuff, how else do we learn?
    cheers
    D

Re: Carving in Scotland

Some nice carvings there D. I'm not sure what pics 3 & 4 are but I love your shrooms. You have much talent for a beginner.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. Nice work.

Comment

You're certainly a quick study! The mushrooms are wonderful. If #3 is a sea otter, it needs some smoothing = those guys are pretty slick. #4 looks to be the very biggest Maple tree seed I have ever seen! I like the last bunch as there's lots to look for.
        Keep it up. The quarter and dime bars for Stihl are magic, aren't they?

Comment

Hello Mate, your work is looking great, how close to Dundee are you?

Comment

Hi all
            thanks for the nice comments. as i said, i still have a lot to learn but im completely hooked!
            I should have put explanations on the pictures but here goes....
            1- These were the first 2 things i made, a bad 'shroom and then a less-bad shroom
            2 was teh third thing i made, a dolphin out of driftwood (about 18 inches high). i finished it with a very smooth sanding finish and then waxed it. i left the base/tail deliberately 'vague' to suggest it being under water and so difficult to see
            3- an otter. This was carved from a trunk section where the tree had rot through the middle and so the section was a ring-shape. as soon as i saw it i knew i wanted to carve an otter chasing a fish and making a ring. the fish was a bridge between the nose of the otter and its tail. the photo isnt a final-shot but i cant find teh last pictures and it is now living down at my parents house. Unfortunately the fish cracked as the wood dried and so its no longer a rind-carvign but it was a good learnign piece
            4- is a sycamore seed, i did a lot of carving for a public-interactions area where i work ( a science research institute in Dundee). its where primary-school kids come to learn about environment stuff and so i thought it would be more interesting for them if there were a vew carvings around teh place (shormms, frogs, ladybirds, woodlice, seeds etc etc). I love doing free-carvings for community areas, its nice to 'give stuff back' i find.
            5- is a 'montage' of another piece i did where i work. a big poplar tree was felled after wind damage and they left me a good sized stump to carve. the idea was that the cheeky rabbit was hiding behind the sleeping owl.... again, its more of a public-area carving as its alongside a public footpath close to the primary school in Invergowrie. I have had loads of nice feedback from locals who walk their kids to school or walk their dogs past it saying 'it makes me smile in the morning' which was kidn of the point

Hi Donsexton, I live in Portlethen (details are onmy facebook page, you can view this even without a facebook account) but I work in Invergowrie so im 'in dundee' 5 days a week.
            cheers
            Dave

Comment

Oh, i forgot to say. Robson, the sycamore seed is about 2.5 foot long, teh 'ball' section at the end is pretty heavy but i shaved down the 'blade' section pretty fine so its not so heavy. i wouldnt fancy trying to see if it will fly tho
              As for the carving bars... i know i wuoldnt be able to get any detail work done without it, not now i have got use to using one
              mind you, if you look at my facebook page, one of my early pieces, the one where the cat is climbing the branch, that was doen using an electric saw (i use electric if i am carving at home as it is much quieter) using an 18 inch oregon bar (not a carving bar) and a LOT of careful patient and slow work

Comment

Oh, just trot the thing up the Eiffel tower and chuck it over the edge. All the same, not hard to recognize for a tree seed ( it's a winged samara). Likely sycamore maple = Acer pseudoplatanus.
                I don't do any chainsaw works but I certainly like to watch.

Comment

You know i would LOVE to watch some chainsaw carving but i have never had the chance to watch anyone else. I kinda had to make it up as i went along, trial and error.

Comment

I know nothing about chainsaw carving but I like your style. You might use You Tube and search for "chainsaw carving" There are quite a few videos there.
                    Keep up your good work. Dick

Comment

Very enjoyable. The driftwood Dolphin looks like a beautiful wood.

Comment

hi dervish love your work am in Aberdeen and would love to learn a wee bit of carving if you could help thanks .

Comment

You are responding to a thread that is 6yrs old. Dervish has been silent for 5 yrs.
                          Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

His Facebook page (post #1) is still active, mcdog. You can contact him there.
                            Arthur

Comment

Working...
                            X