X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GregGerard
    replied
    Re: Bar & Chain oil

I have airbrushed some acrylics over couple of chainsaw carvings that got splattered pretty good with oil. I was concerned but now its been nearly 2 years with no issues.

Leave a comment:

• Donsexton
    replied

The only way you can get by without oil is ice block carving and then I use vegetable oil. I don't believe the oil does a thing to a carving and I have done a few.

Leave a comment:

• Buffalo Bif
    replied

First of all, I have no intention of not using oil in my saw. Does anybody do that? Guarantee they dont do it for long. Thanks anyway for that advice. Second, I'm talking about carving with a chainsaw, not bucking logs. Just wondered if the oil caused any finish problems. I suspect it would be a non issue if the finish were spirit based....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I've carved an awful lot of wood that was cut to size with a chainsaw and have never had a problem with finishing them. In fact all my fish are carved from aspen cut down to size with a chainsaw. Any wood coming in contact with the bar and chain is whittled away anyhow.

Al

Leave a comment:

• rsting
    replied

I work on saws for a living, and I'll assure you, you have to have bar oil! They make biodegradable oil, that might be better, but it can be hard to find. I have also seen people use vegetable oil, mainly butchers that use a saw to split a beef carcass. Don't know if it would be any better than regular oil, but might be worth a try.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne L
    replied

I think not using bar oil will cause a much more serious (and expensive) problem.

Leave a comment:

• Buffalo Bif
    started a topic Bar & Chain oil

Bar & Chain oil

Does oil affect your carvings? seems like residue might cause finishing problems...

Or maybe I just think too much.
Working...
X