New series of projects - frieze (s) of the seasons of the year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New series of projects - frieze (s) of the seasons of the year

The included picture will be pushed into a 3-d frieze with 3/4" thick birds, 1/4" branch and less leaves with the tree trunk being part of the L frame I'll standardize upon. I chose 1/2" block of wood that will be 6x12" tall x wide. the branch will be 'flying' and the birds attached to it and the back. I have all of the pieces cut out and now to shape and refine. This is Spring if you can't figure that one out. I'll post pictures along the way. Not really relief carving but more flat that is glued together. The tree trunk, a projection out of the back on the left will be interesting to make. The pesky tiny leaves also. Good thing I have 3mm tools. Birds are more or less done. Only fronts and thier sides are carved, flat back to glue. The branch is tricky and bound to break. Wife is itchy looking forward for the finals and others in the works. Martin

Will be watching with interest
    . . .JoeB

Comment

That's a great idea Martin,... I can see this procedure working for many different scenes. Be sure and post the final pictures.
      Wayne

Comment

Interesting project, Martin. Here is a link to a similar project. The bird & fish shapes were cut out separately and attached to the background. The figures with more shaping were attached with screws from the back so they could be carved on a work board to reduce the nicking of the background.

https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...3-sky-water-ii

Comment

Parts are coming together, now for the long time carving out little parts. I show a picture of the expected in 2-D how it will be and bunches of leaves. Large and small. I show on a sheet how I laid out my leaves to cut on the saw. The bob and move around and life makes the leaves a little different. Easy to cut out though. Long cut - short cuts and then another long with parts dropping off. Notice the two birds - the left one had a golden wing and right a light tan after I carved the shape a bit. A lot of grain is cut diagonally. The right had bird wing turned golden overnight. The limb will be flying 1/4" off the back board supported in three spots, the tree end, and two birds. I will likely affix a leaf or more to help on the long tips. Time will tell. The mind is funny. And Pallin, I liked the fish and birds.

Comment

I thought I would post something as it has been some time. Rather busy in life being retired but that is life. I have carved 1/2 circumference of a tree and painted it. I have painted the branch and hung it on the tree - it is flying being 1/8" off the back board. The back is a bit stark but that is what the beloved in my life wants. No pastels. Ok. I first painted it a pinecone brown which is lighter than the trunk and then added various colors of green, yellow, brown and such making moss and other junk upon the limb. Dozens of leaves (maybe 2) will be added once they are completed, carved in most part. The two birds have a bit of carving but not much. The outside edges and the back will be black. You can see the 3-D on the limb with the line shadow at the end of the lower branch. More color on the base of the branch and then on to the birds and leaves just in time I hope for spring. Martin

Comment

coming along nicely
              . . .JoeB

Comment

Interesting and unusual project, Martin.
                Arthur

Comment

The friezes will fit in a plate / picture holder. Two L shaped slices of wood with a hinge between. I've finished the Spring and am searching for the summer design. The design is really a 3-D concept kinda like a baby Window box display. The Tree trunk sticks out of the wood plank and the branch is sprouting from the center. the far right tip of leaves are flying in the air as the rest except for the two birds that are to thick. They are glued to the back but have metal legs and feet painted orange planted on the limb. Multi-color leaves show the age of the season, newest on the tip.

Comment

Very colorful, well done will look good on the wall
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Thanks Joe - my beloved likes stark colors. It will be in her kitchen and it has colors about so it will stand out from the others I suppose. She is out of town right now and I can't wait to hear what she has to say. The leaves are on the harry edge of what she might like. Time will tell.

Comment

New season - Summer.
                        Here is the picture I'm going to try to do in 3-D. If all goes well, the Sun and Trees will be swinging in the air with the letters attached in some method. The arms and legs are likely to be metal work. Should bring more tasking incremental work to sort out and learn. So much to carve, with so little time to.

Comment

Working...
                        X