Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    I think he looks just great. Love the attitude. Like the one Eddy did as well both great.

Leave a comment:

• lhow2000
    replied
    Beautiful bears Eddy and Dave, well done, love them.

Leave a comment:

• tbox61
    replied
    I think it looks great! I took a class from Mike some years back, and found his mantra quite refreshing...he said, 'Add enough detail to keep it interesting, but keep it simple enough to make it fun!!'.

Most all of my carvings center around Jack Price' style and Mike's style...if I never get past those two guys, I will still be a happy man!

Just keep doing what you are doing and have fun!

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post

Thanks Eddy, and I got the issue off Ebay for $9 including shipping and it was well worth it. I've carved a boat load of Shipley bears and variants, but the Diel approach is different and opens up even more variants.

Sadly I saw Lynn Diel has passed due to cancer several years ago.

Again...thanks.
    Woodburner..... Just let your imagination go wild. I've been making them for Dr's, Nurses, waiters and waitresses and other service people as a token of my appreciation for years! Smoky.jpg

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
    Dave.... No two carvers are going to have the same result. I don't see anything wrong with your bear. It's a caricature so there is lots of allowance for uniqueness. I've done quite a few of the characters from Mike's books, including his bear book and Country Folk book. Even when you carve two of the same they usually come out slightly different. I'll mention this as they are no longer in business but if you can get a hold of Issue #9 of the now defunct "Carving Magazine" there's a beautiful article on "Carving A Bear" by Lynn Diel. It was the article that got me started on my "bear kick" when it first hit the stands. It's a fool proof step by step project and easily modified. If you are unable to get the magazine and would like to see the article, give me a PM.
    Thanks Eddy, and I got the issue off Ebay for $9 including shipping and it was well worth it. I've carved a boat load of Shipley bears and variants, but the Diel approach is different and opens up even more variants.

Sadly I saw Lynn Diel has passed due to cancer several years ago.

Again...thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Bob K.
    replied
    I wouldn't worry about it, Dave. After all it's a caricature and with caricatures anything goes! You can always carve another one and change things up.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Looks fine to me and do like those eyes. I've carved a lot of Shipley "style" bears with various eye themes but none like yours. I will give them a try.

Leave a comment:

• JoeVM
    replied
    Nice bear. I like his eyes, for a caricature they are fine.

Leave a comment:

• Tinwood
    replied
    Nothing wrong with this bear Dave. Certainly seems like he'd give Yogi a run for his money chasing down a picnic basket.

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Dave.... No two carvers are going to have the same result. I don't see anything wrong with your bear. It's a caricature so there is lots of allowance for uniqueness. I've done quite a few of the characters from Mike's books, including his bear book and Country Folk book. Even when you carve two of the same they usually come out slightly different. I'll mention this as they are no longer in business but if you can get a hold of Issue #9 of the now defunct "Carving Magazine" there's a beautiful article on "Carving A Bear" by Lynn Diel. It was the article that got me started on my "bear kick" when it first hit the stands. It's a fool proof step by step project and easily modified. If you are unable to get the magazine and would like to see the article, give me a PM.

Leave a comment:

• uvawyo
    replied
    I like your eyes on that bear and you did a fine job on him, both the carving and painting

Leave a comment:

• Gleber
    replied
    Nice job. I think the mouse-like look is more from the ears than the eyes. The ears seem a little large for the head. For comparison: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File...brown-bear.jpg vs https://goo.gl/images/1hSaZG

Tom

Leave a comment:

• EdHulett
    replied
    Nicely done. I struggle a bit with flat plane because I'm not sure when to stop. Practice, practice, practice...

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    replied
    Nice job on that bear! As you say, the eyes are different from those in Mike's book, but I kinda like the ones you have done. It adds your personal touch to the carving.
    Wayne

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Nice little bear!

Claude

Leave a comment:

Working...
X