Jack Price 4" figures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Price 4" figures

Today were my first two postings in quite a while. I don't know why I stopped visiting and posting. I used to enjoy posting my newest figures and chatting with others. But today I'm back for a specific purpose.

When I carve a lot, my right hand swells and hurts for a few days. So I am returning to carving little guys, 4" high from a block of wood 1" square. With less wood to carve, there will be less pressure on my hand and no pain. Or so I hope.

So I'm interested in any suggestions for my problem and examples of Jack Price figures for inspiration.
    Rodster
    https://rodster.ca

Looking good Rodster!

Boob L

Comment

Those look great Rodster! I wish I could get my faces better like the ones you posted....I'm going to try to copy the way you do it, mine always turn out looking like he's 80 years old no matter what the figure is haha. The way you do it you can get a younger looking face, I like it. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Your's are looking great Rodster. Nice clean cuts, which show you have a sharp knife. Here are some of my examples. image.jpeg
        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

I'm not going to comment on your carvings Rodster ('cause they're better than mine ..).... but you mention pain in your right hand. I'm presuming that you are right handed and that is the hand you hold your knife in....? If so, I suggest you get in touch with Tom Ellis and try to get one of his "golf grip" knives. I aquired several a while back and they are the most comfortable carving knives you can get your hands on ( pun intended)..
          Wayne
          If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

You're doing good with the little guys. Hope your hand gets better. Try not to grip your knife so tight.
            Joe

Comment

Excellent work Rodster. Well carved and painted. Hope your hand settles down soon. Possibly take a break more often? You can also purchase a brace of sorts that wraps around your thumb, has a rigid support that runs along the bottom tendons of your forearm and wraps around the back of your hand opposite to your palm. It's intended to provide a measure of support and relief from tendonitis in your forearm, guess that would be like a golfers brace? I've used one but for the tendonitis relief, not for your problem so don't know if it would help or not. Just throwing it out there.

Tinwood

Comment

I ain't no doctor but I once stayed at a "Holiday Inn!" So my two cents worth is that you're inflaming your tunnel carpal. I've had it happen to me a number of times. Mine doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason to it. It comes and goes. But when it is bothering me I do exactly as "Tinwood" suggested. Hop on down to your local Wally Mart and get you a brace that wraps around your thumb and has a piece of steel or plastic in it to keep your wrist straight. If I'm not mistaken you'll see Gene Messer wearing a similar device in some of his carving videos. It also would help, or at least it does me, to keep it on over night while your sleeping. That will keep your wrist immobile so that it can rest. Good luck! Oh yeah! If you're not on blood thinners like a lot of us are you can take a NSAID like Aspirin, Ibuprofen, or Naproxen to help reduce the swelling and pain. But check with your physician first. I'm not a doctor, just a plumber's son!

Comment

Good advice Eddy-Smiles! I have the same problem, the brace really helps.
                  http://www.tristatecarvers.com

Comment

Sorry about your wrist, but that is a great carving!

Jack's book about carving small characters was the first of my carving books, and the one I refer to most! Great tutorial on carving faces and the basic man.

You might check out the CD you can get with 50 of his patterns on it...I think it was about $12.00 or so. I think it might be for sale on the CCA website.

Here are a couple of my early Jack Price 'originals'...I use a bigger pattern these days as I can't carve something so small anymore!

One is a little guy in overalls and the other is an old codger in a cowboy hat. I patterned him off a guy that I used to see in the feed store in my hometown of Russell, Kansas!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tbox61 View Post
                      Here are a couple of my early Jack Price 'originals'...I use a bigger pattern these days as I can't carve something so small anymore! One is a little guy in overalls and the other is an old codger in a cowboy hat. I patterned him off a guy that I used to see in the feed store in my hometown of Russell, Kansas!
                      Thanks for all your good thoughts. I do have the Jack Price CD and printed out all the pictures in a spiral bound book. I carry it to the Carving Club each week and use it regularly.

I like your two little guys. I have been studying them carefully. Great detail. Thanks for posting them. I'd be interested in the size of little guys you're doing now?

Rodster

Comment

Rodster,
                        Here is an example of what I am doing with Jack's original 'man' pattern. He is 3" tall by 1 1/4" wide.

Haven't painted him yet, but he is in overalls with a baseball 'farmer's hat'. Going to make the hat a Kansas City Royals hat...my favorite MLB team!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tbox61 View Post
                          Rodster, Here is an example of what I am doing with Jack's original 'man' pattern. He is 3" tall by 1 1/4" wide. Haven't painted him yet, but he is in overalls with a baseball 'farmer's hat'. Going to make the hat a Kansas City Royals hat...my favorite MLB team!
                          It's great to see this little fella. I'll study him and use your techniques to improve my own carvings.

Here's what I found the most interesting:
                          1. The cut under the backside to give him a little definition (or bottom as the British say). I've seen that done, but I was worried about losing too much wood. I'll give it a try.
                          2. The nice detail in the front of the figure. It looks like you must be a good painter.
                          3. I do different ears than Jack Price, but I notice you ignored ears on this little guy?
                          4. I like the size. I usually do 4" figures but you provide a lot of detail in a 3" little guy. I'll try that.
                          I hope you post him on the forum when he's painted.

Rodster

Comment

Working...
                          X