Doug Outside Figures Continue!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug Outside Figures Continue!

I've done two more 'Doug Outside' figures (SEE BELOW) and I'm more or less pleased. But their arms look a little rigid and their button holes are askew.

I've done hands in pockets before, but I'm not entirely pleased with that either. I think I will carve my next 'Doug Outside' figure with arms at side, but bend them a little, so the hands come a bit to the front.

As for the buttons, I'll try placing them in the middle of the shirt and eliminate the veritical cut that separates the shirt.

We'll see how this all works out. It's nice to have a new project. I call it 'seeking perfection'.

I'd be interested in any ideas to achieve what I'd like to achieve. I'd also be interested in hearing some interesting ideas, observations or thoughts about flat plane corving in general.
    Last edited by Rodster; 08-09-2018, 04:40 PM.
    Rodster
    https://rodster.ca

Heck, my buttons never rub straight down the front of my shirt, seems to kind of bulge out and to the side, darn tailors
    . . .JoeB

Comment

I am a fan
      Herb

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
        Heck, my buttons never rub straight down the front of my shirt, seems to kind of bulge out and to the side, darn tailors
        Your joke is amusing. The Brits would say 'droll'.
        How 'bout more funny one-liners? If you're now 'on a roll.'
        Last edited by Rodster; 08-11-2018, 07:35 AM.
        Rodster

Comment

Looking good Rodster!

Tinwood

Comment

Rod, I usually have my caricature's hands all the way into the pockets so that no skin shows. Then it's just a matter of thinning out the bottom sleeve to make the hands look like they're inside the pants. That also allows for a greater bend in the arms so that they look more natural. I'm not suggesting that my way of doing it is right or not, just my way!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
              Rod, I usually have my caricature's hands all the way into the pockets so that no skin shows . . .
              Thanks for your comment. I wondered if hands hanging down could be varied a bit, to make them seem a little more natural and attractive. A slight bend at the elbow and then the hand showing at the waist. Only one way to know. I'll give it a try and see.

Last edited by Rodster; 08-11-2018, 07:31 AM.
              Rodster

Comment

Rodster;.. Eddy is right, it's easier if you put the entire hand in his pocket,... just use a small V cut above the pocket to simulate a cuff on the shirt ( and another button to carve )
                I find that if you carve the fellows shirt so that it looks like it's tucked in his trousers, then you will have more wood to work with when doing the hands in the pocket look. Also a slight bend at the elbow will bring the hand forward to help achieve the look that you are after.
                Wayne
                Attached Files
                If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post
                  Rodster . . . Eddy is right, it's easier if you put the entire hand in his pocket . . . Wayne

Thanks for the advice. What a smart, young man you've carved? He's just great. Nice pocket too!
                  Last edited by Rodster; 08-10-2018, 06:42 PM.
                  Rodster

Comment

Working...
                  X