Sorry Charlie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry Charlie

Got off work early and you know what they say about idle hands. Another result of the "carving bug". I carved him from a basswood block 1&1/4" x 6"
    Not happy with the pencil writing but I can always find something different. Hands are too shaky for a brush and paint.

You can see the writing better now.

Comment

Good job on an enjoyable carving
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Thank you Joe.

Comment

Nice whimsical carving, Dash. Humor always bumps a fine carving up to another level for me...well done.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Hi Dashri , Very good use of Idle Hands. Merle

Comment

The things you’d forgot about. Fun carving!
              Ed
              Living in a pile of chips.
              https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Cute! I remember those commercials...

Claude
                My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

I am getting a good chuckle!
                  Herb

Comment

Dash! I have the same problem. I was never satisfied with fine details such as logos and writing. That's when I commenced printing them out on the computer and gluing them on my caricatures. It won't gain you any fame if you try to enter them in a woodcarving contest but the additional realism pleases the heck out of folks. I've posted the following a couple of times before but in the event you haven't seen it, perhaps it will better explain the process.

"I've been asked a number of times about how I make the emblems and logos that I apply to my bears and caricatures. So I thought that I’d do a quick show and tell for anyone that is interested. First off, I'm not an artist and I consider my work more novelty than a bona fide piece of craftsmanship. And when I make a piece I'm more interested in identifying that piece with the person that I give it to than providing them with a traditional carving or a work of art.

Therefore, I like to personalize each piece with name tags, work logos and emblems when applicable and since I'm definitely not an artist I've found that the computer can be a great substitute for lack of talent.

1. The first step is to go on-line and Google up a photograph or clip art of the emblem or logo that I need.

2. Then I import the emblem or logo into Microsoft Publisher and after measuring the actual size that I need for the caricature that I'm whittling I reproduce it a number of times using the sizing marks on the Publisher screen. I often will make a couple slightly larger and slightly smaller just in case I'm not satisfied with the size that I originally choose. At this time I will also create a text box and format it with color and writing as needed producing duplicates as I did with the emblems and logos.

3. Once I'm satisfied with my selection I'll print the sheet out and spray just the emblems, logos, and text with a good coat of Krylon Workable Fixatif. The stuff is too expensive to waste so there’s no need to coat the entire sheet which will be trashed anyway.

4. Once the sheet is dry I cut out each emblem, logo, and text as required and glue them in place on the caricature with Gorilla Type II glue. The reason that I use Gorilla glue is that it dries whiter in color than Titebond. And of course the reason that I use a Type II is that unlike a regular white glue such as Elmers it’s water resistant.

5. The final step before I apply a finish to the entire caricature is to apply a full strength coat of what ever varnish I am going to use on the caricature, to the emblem, logo or text. I do this with one swipe of the brush. This puts a final seal on the emblem, logo or text. The reason is that I never apply polyurethane finishes to my carvings full strength. Most of the time they are mixed with water as much as 50-50 and sometimes, not very often, but sometimes, if the Fixatif isn’t applied evenly, the ink will still run with the heavy water mixture.

I hope that this helps those that have had questions in their minds about my emblem and logo cheating process. Comments always welcomed!" Sorry-Charlie-Edit-750x400.jpg

Comment

Just to add--Use of "Water slide Decal" is useful.
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
                        Dash! I have the same problem. I was never satisfied with fine details such as logos and writing. That's when I commenced printing them out on the computer and gluing them on my caricatures. It won't gain you any fame if you try to enter them in a woodcarving contest but the additional realism pleases the heck out of folks. I've posted the following a couple of times before but in the event you haven't seen it, perhaps it will better explain the process.

"I've been asked a number of times about how I make the emblems and logos that I apply to my bears and caricatures. So I thought that I’d do a quick show and tell for anyone that is interested. First off, I'm not an artist and I consider my work more novelty than a bona fide piece of craftsmanship. And when I make a piece I'm more interested in identifying that piece with the person that I give it to than providing them with a traditional carving or a work of art.

Therefore, I like to personalize each piece with name tags, work logos and emblems when applicable and since I'm definitely not an artist I've found that the computer can be a great substitute for lack of talent.

1. The first step is to go on-line and Google up a photograph or clip art of the emblem or logo that I need.

2. Then I import the emblem or logo into Microsoft Publisher and after measuring the actual size that I need for the caricature that I'm whittling I reproduce it a number of times using the sizing marks on the Publisher screen. I often will make a couple slightly larger and slightly smaller just in case I'm not satisfied with the size that I originally choose. At this time I will also create a text box and format it with color and writing as needed producing duplicates as I did with the emblems and logos.

3. Once I'm satisfied with my selection I'll print the sheet out and spray just the emblems, logos, and text with a good coat of Krylon Workable Fixatif. The stuff is too expensive to waste so there’s no need to coat the entire sheet which will be trashed anyway.

4. Once the sheet is dry I cut out each emblem, logo, and text as required and glue them in place on the caricature with Gorilla Type II glue. The reason that I use Gorilla glue is that it dries whiter in color than Titebond. And of course the reason that I use a Type II is that unlike a regular white glue such as Elmers it’s water resistant.

5. The final step before I apply a finish to the entire caricature is to apply a full strength coat of what ever varnish I am going to use on the caricature, to the emblem, logo or text. I do this with one swipe of the brush. This puts a final seal on the emblem, logo or text. The reason is that I never apply polyurethane finishes to my carvings full strength. Most of the time they are mixed with water as much as 50-50 and sometimes, not very often, but sometimes, if the Fixatif isn’t applied evenly, the ink will still run with the heavy water mixture.

I hope that this helps those that have had questions in their minds about my emblem and logo cheating process. Comments always welcomed!" Sorry-Charlie-Edit-750x400.jpg
                        Thanks Eddy for the great tip! Might have to give it a go when I get my computer up and running again. Been without it now for 4 years. All I have is my phone. Living and traveling in my camper most of the time with no electricity no generator no internet except my phone. Running the essentials in the camper takes priority and 100 watts of solar and 2 batteries barely does that. Will keep it in mind though.

Water slide decals is another great tip Joe. Thank you.

Comment

Very nice job love it.

Comment

Good one Dash!, looks really good, this brought back memories

Shawna

Comment

Working...
                            X