Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Very nice job Rod. Think a lot of the little guys end up in the caricature section.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Thanks Jos. Since I don't understand Swedish, I found examples here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Axel+Peter...ages&ia=images

Certainly great work and interesting pieces.

Leave a comment:

• jderijcke
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodster View Post

Here is a definition in an article about Harley Refsal, a carver who popularized 'flat plane' carving through a number of books, articles and seminars.
    Flat-plane carving is a minimalist style, with strong, simple cuts that leave the tool marks exposed. It's all about bold, flat cuts designed to catch the light and cast shadows. I heard Harley state several times that he aims to make as few cuts as possible using only his carving knife.

I consider my guys flat plane, because my cuts are pronounced, simple and not marred by sanding or rounding.

IMG_0296.JPG
    Hi
    you can also take a look at the pictures on the site of Döderhultarmuseet in Oskarshams in Sweden. Wonderfull museum !! Axel Petersson is one on the best known flat plane carvers in history

Leave a comment:

• trygg grandson
    replied
    Flat plane by Olaf Trygg
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Nice set of carvings, Rod!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• BeckyN
    replied
    Perfect explanation, thanks! Super carvings too!

Leave a comment:

• tbox61
    replied
    Flat plane the way flat plane should look! Great job, Rod!

Leave a comment:

• Rodster
    replied
    Originally posted by BeckyN View Post
    Can someone explain the difference? My brain is not understanding Loving the pics!
    Here is a definition in an article about Harley Refsal, a carver who popularized 'flat plane' carving through a number of books, articles and seminars.
    Flat-plane carving is a minimalist style, with strong, simple cuts that leave the tool marks exposed. It's all about bold, flat cuts designed to catch the light and cast shadows. I heard Harley state several times that he aims to make as few cuts as possible using only his carving knife.

I consider my guys flat plane, because my cuts are pronounced, simple and not marred by sanding or rounding.

IMG_0296.JPG
    Last edited by Rodster; 07-19-2021, 08:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BeckyN
    replied
    Can someone explain the difference? My brain is not understanding
    loving the pics!

Leave a comment:

• Rodster
    replied
    Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
    ... I think Rodster is looking at the section for FLAT PLANE carving? And yes ... most post in the Caricature Carving section??? Chuck

When the 'flat plane' category was started some years ago, I recall many carvers applauding the move.

Today, most people (including me) can't really tell if carvings are flat plane or not. In the absence of excessive sandpapering or rounding, who knows? Jack Price never considered himself a 'flat planer', yet his figures could easily be characterized as such.

Many people post what they consider to be 'flat plane' carvings to the caricature forum because it has more buzz, more submissions and seems more lively. It's hard to argue with that.

If the caricature category were entitled 'Caricature and Flat Plane Carving', many would applaud the change.

5 Easy Pieces.JPG
    Last edited by Rodster; 07-17-2021, 04:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Nice carvings, Rodster. I do flat plane carving exclusively but don't always post a lot of pictures...too busy carving. I have Norwegian ancestry and am attracted to it because of the history of flat plane carving in Norway. Great history. I should post more...

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Most at my attempts at flat plane end up as round plane!

Leave a comment:

• Just Carving
    replied
    Most of my bears are flat plane but I guess I've been too busy since I've gone back to work--3 days in the office which means a 25 mile trip to and from the office. And the two days at home never seem to end. And since it's been pretty hot, I haven't had much energy to carve. I have two bears that need their mouth, nose, ears, eyes, and heart. Maybe today I will finish them up.
    210716_0001.jpg
    Sorry guys, the Summer has gotten to me already.

BobL

Leave a comment:

• uvawyo
    replied
    I admire flat plane carving i just tend to round things I carve. When I started carving some 12 or 13 years ago I was a follower of Gene Messer and attempted to flat plane, some how i got away from it I will try a flat plane guy soon and post

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Flat Plane Carving is to much for my Brain to Visualize . Merle

Leave a comment:

Working...
X