No announcement yet.

Blood Thinner and Carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Marv Kaisersatt's book on carving caricatures. In the book Marv gives directions on making a wood piece that attaches to your table with clamps, or you could mount it permanently. I find that o be very helpful in carving. It gives me something to support the wood piece and to push against if need be. The book is invaluable if you are interested in getting to the design stage of carving. I find that it has been very helpful and wish I had had one before. My shoulder left shoulder would get sore from holding it in one position as I carved , I am right handed, this as alleviated the problem. You may very well find that this is just one more helpful tool.

Comment

I have been on blood thinner (Pradaxa) for years. Changed to it from warfarin. When put on blood thinner I told my physician, "I am not going to quit or modify my woodcarving. What do you recommend?" His answer, "Be as careful as you can and invest in lots of bandaids." I have cut myself only once while carving, I had removed the safety glove, was putting things away and decided to make "one more cut"....drove a gouge into the palm of my hand. Most of my cuts have come from using a kitchen knife on food! Even a small puncture from trimming rose bushes leaves a huge bruise under the skin. A cut or even a scrape takes a while to stop bleeding. My arms have multiple under the skin bleeding spots from even bruises.

A quick word on blood thinner. When the "scare" adds provided by lawyers started I went to my doc. How about all of this bleeding out stuff? His answer, "Paul it does happen. So does allergic reactions from bee stings. Now, you have a choice. You can go on blood thinner which has proven to reduce the possibility of stroke or heart attack. Or you can skip the blood thinner and repeat the Afib and Storke episodes that you have already experienced. I chose modern medicine. Not perfect but, in the twilight of a life lived with abandon......I need all the help I can get!

Comment

Ditto to what Claude says.

For me, I wouldn't be changing carving styles (say, foregoing figure carving for relief carving, Santas for chip carving, etc) simply for safety reasons. That'd be out of the question. Instead, with _every_ cut, your brain should be calculating where the knife will travel when the wood in front of it is done being cut, or gives way. Make sure all body parts are behind the business end of the tool, at all times.

Of course wear a quality (look at Skytec) glove, but know that a glove isn't a guarantee against every slice/stab. I myself have sliced and cut through countless gloves.

S~
        Carvito ergo sum.

Comment

Working...
        X