toothy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toothy question

I would like to make a sea dragon for my grand daughter. This is a sea dragon, if you have never seen one: http://carouselhistory.com/carousel-...d-sea-dragons/
    Mine will be 6 inches long and 4 inches high. It will be cut out from one piece of wood with the grain going the length of the body. My problem is the teeth. They are going to be pretty small and across grain. I haven't roughed this out yet as I am trying to decide to leave material to try to carve the teeth or to just do the teeth some other way. Does any one have experience with doing sharp pointy teeth that you could me some pointers before I start? Thank you in advance.

You could carve them with the grain like it is and then soak them with CA glue. It will harden them up considerably, but painting will need to be a bit thicker on them. You could carve the teeth separately, with the grain direction running properly, and then glue them in place. Also, I have seen people who carve realistic snakes actually using bits of bone and carving them as teeth.
    'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
    http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

It seems to me I remember Bob Squbrigg doing some sort of dragon for one of his grandchildren. Perhaps if you were to pm him he could offer some help
      Wayne
      If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

I imagine that you are going to paint. Dental implants.
        Carve the teeth from bamboo satay skewers. Tough, fibrous and a little bit elastic.

Suppose you did the whole thing as one piece.
        Then suppose an accidental knock bashes off a couple of teeth. Repairs?

I'd do a hasty mockup of at least part of the mouth, add the teeth and some paint. . . . see how it looks.
        Brian T

Comment

Hey thanks, guys! Some great ideas here! Bone, I had never thought of that. My first thought though, was chicken bone as I have some fried chicken in the refrigerator. But probably wouldn't want to use cooked bone. I have some bamboo skewer to, I am wondering if those could be carved, soaked and shaped a little, I will have to try...thank you for the input. I like the idea of a mockup to see how it works. And if I get in over my head I will shout out to Bob. Thanks for all the info...

Comment

Well, you can't sell a toothbrush to a chicken. Cooked or raw, try shaping some of the bone. It's as close as your fridge.
            Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
              Well, you can't sell a toothbrush to a chicken. Cooked or raw, try shaping some of the bone. It's as close as your fridge.
              I'd never buy a toothbrush for a chicken either. I will have to try some of the bone, I also have some deer antler I could try.

Comment

That's too easy = to buy a toothbrush for a chicken. Much harder I think, to sell them one. Better to buy the chicken and give them a ride in the BBQ.

Did one fish carving and used shaped pieces of Abalone shell for teeth. It worked OK as it was a sort of relief/one-sided carving.
                Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                  They can't pay anyway. They don't have pockets to keep their money in and no one is gonna give a chicken credit.
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by sappy View Post
                    I have some bamboo skewer to, I am wondering if those could be carved, soaked and shaped a little, I will have to try...thank you for the input.
                    Yes, bamboo can easily be carved and shaped. You can soak it in boiling water for a few minutes, then immediately place it into a jig of some sort to cool and dry. Say, something like a groove routed into a board in a curve, or curved end on a stick that you can clamp the bamboo to. Another option if you have a heat gun is to apply heat for a minutes or two until the bamboo is pliable, then bend it to the shape you want while wearing thick leather gloves to protect your hands from the heat. Bamboo fly rod makers do this all the time, except they are trying to get bends out of the bamboo strips (works well for them)

Claude
                    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                    My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                    My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                    My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Hey Sappy
                      Have you considered making the teeth out of plastic cocktail skewers, no shapping, no painting, just a thought
                      Bruce

Comment

I'd suggest carving the teeth out of Holly, and inserting them. Just make the tooth twice as long as you want, carve the tooth to shape, and carve the other end into a plug. Carve the corresponding hole in the dragons jaw, a socket , and epoxy it in. Looks just like a real tooth. Some practice will help, and the tooth doesn't need to be full round, just the outside part. Hope this helps. Private message me if you need more direction, I can send you some pictures. Of course you could use real teeth too, I have some Lynx teeth in my dragon cane that look perfect.

Bob
                        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad View Post

They can't pay anyway. They don't have pockets to keep their money in and no one is gonna give a chicken credit.
                          LOL! Better to give them credit, then to loan them money!
                          Claude, I am thinking the bamboo might be a good option, thank you for the info.
                          Bruce, not plastic skewers exactly, but I have been looking at the plastic tooth picks. Does that bring us back to chickens? LOL!
                          Bob, is Holly just really strong? I don't have any Holly, but I do have some old Lilac, it is hard but I don't know about actual strength. Thank you for the offer of help, I may be taking you up on it.

I will be cutting out a head to day to start playing with, I hope I can come up with something after all this great help! It would be embarrassing to not too! Thanks everyone!

Comment

These teeth are pointy but their size grow fast towards the base. Plus it seems you'll have space to wark aroud if the mouth is wide open like this.
                            In my opinion that should be OK to carve them directly, if the wood you're using has a thin grain enough.

Comment

Thank you, copeau...I will have to try that in some scrap.

Comment

Working...
                              X