what is wood carving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is wood carving?

What do you think?.....Perhaps....Wood carving is 1/3 planning, 1/3 execution and 1/3 looking for the pencil or tool you just set down 2 minutes ago.

Woodcarving is a form of delignification.
    Terry

Comment

Being a new carver it's a reason to keep a supply of bandaids close by. Also a great way to relax

Comment

What is woodcarving?
        Carving wood of course.

Comment

None of the above. It's far more personal, as my Grandmother predicted. I see things in the wood.
          Even so strongly as to which end is head, which end is tail. Some years, it happens rapidly = many things.
          Some years, the wood says nothing.

I have many piles of wood, indoors and out, all over the place. I don't know what or when I will see next.

Grandmother's prediction shook me up when it first began to happen.
          Now, it's just a giggle to see what the wood says. Can you understand that?
          Maybe I get a few new things done this winter to show you.
          Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
            None of the above. It's far more personal, as my Grandmother predicted. I see things in the wood.
            Even so strongly as to which end is head, which end is tail. Some years, it happens rapidly = many things.
            Some years, the wood says nothing.

I have many piles of wood, indoors and out, all over the place. I don't know what or when I will see next.

Grandmother's prediction shook me up when it first began to happen.
            Now, it's just a giggle to see what the wood says. Can you understand that?
            Maybe I get a few new things done this winter to show you.
            Gee , I don't know about that. I've been carving for 8 or 10 years now and have worked with wood off and on all my life but I've yet to see anything in the wood before i start carving it and heaven forbid if the wood should start speaking to me. I must be using the wrong kind of wood...
            If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post

Gee , I don't know about that. I've been carving for 8 or 10 years now and have worked with wood off and on all my life but I've yet to see anything in the wood before i start carving it and heaven forbid if the wood should start speaking to me. I must be using the wrong kind of wood...
              Soggy, maybe you don't have any of these in your neck of the woods.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_tree
              Terry

Comment

Wood carving is like eating chips! Who can stop ant just one???
                We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
                https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Wood carving is a way to express ourselves in a tangible way. I don't "see" anything in wood; I use wood to create a carving. I come up with an idea, often inspired by other carvers or library searches, and then create a design. I formalize the design with scale drawings, including orthogonal projections for 3-D carvings, and plan the steps needed to make the carving. The last thing I do is select the wood and create the blank. If I've done all of that well, the carving is usually uneventful and moves right along.
                  Matthew

Comment

Wood carving is fake work! When ever someone says nice work, when referring to a wood carving I smile... If they only knew.
                    http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree Tom. Greatest way to evade the "do" list known to man and as an additional side benefit, I get all the fire starter I could ever hope for.

Tinwood

Comment

I see enough things in the wood that researching an idea doesn't need to happen. Very interesting sensation.
                        The wood doesn't matter = cedar, birch, etc. Mostly animals connected to the water or air.

Besides finishing some carvings, I know that I want to carve a Raven, possibly 18 - 24" tall. A replacement for a story carving that I gave away.
                        I don't see it in any of the big western red cedar blocks in the house (3 piles). Maybe it's still outside.

I enjoy watching the simple formation of the shavings and chips with edge tools. Sandpapers are for sharpening.
                        Brian T

Comment

Woodcarving is my addiction. I freely admit to the first step in recovery ~ admission. The next step is where I stumble ~ wanting to be cured. A really good day will be ~ when I see a figure in the wood that simply needs to be set free, ~ when I have all the wood I want, ~ when I have all the tools I want, ~ when I ... oh the heck with it ~ every time I sit down at my carving table is a good day.

Is it the wood? Is it the act of carving? Is it the creation of a carving? Is it seeing the carving I dreamed come to life? Is it the approbation received when a good carving is viewed? Is it all of these?

I really don't know ~ but I do know that I love whatever it is!

Comment

Woodcarving is what I use to keep my hands & mind busy when it's snowing & cold like it is now. I don't carve much the rest of the year, except for the rainy days, there's too many other outside things to do.

Comment

Woodcarving is one possible outlet for our human need for creative expression. It comes with the risk of frustration of having to learn peripheral skills like sharpening or the variability of wood rather than the simplicity of just slicing chips away. Eventually we learn that the satisfaction or gratification of wood carving requires thought, contemplation, problem solving.

Comment

Working...
                              X