what is wood carving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soggy View Post
    and heaven forbid if the wood should start speaking to me. I must be using the wrong kind of wood...
    Hahaha. So what exactly are you saying soggy?

Comment

Thanks Phil. I'm competent to do all sorts of sharpening, just a means to an end.
      It took me several years to "learn the wood", western red cedar in particular. I didn't mind the learning.
      I found that I could apply it to other woods.

Soggy: maybe the wood speaks to some people, it's silent for me.
      It's an odd mental sensation as the "seeing" doesn't seem to be a literal vision at all.
      I just all of a sudden know where all the body parts are.
      If the drawing becomes a restricted design, I know what to cut off and move.
      Brian T

Comment

OK, here is my thought.

I read two things here that i'd like to reconciliate :
        An "instinctive way", like Robson who "see things" in the wood.
        A, how to say... "reflexive way", where wood is used as a material to convert an idea into a carving.

I think my carvings look better when I manage to mix these two approaches.
        I mean, i (usually) know where i wanna go, and there is a conscious part, an anticipation of how i'll get there.
        But as Palin says, it's a creative expression. So I try to keep my mind open to what the wood "say".
        I enjoy much a "dialogue" with the wood than trying to compel it to my will.
        I try to let the tool run "where it wants to" instead of always doing some cold, calculated cuts.

Maybe it's just trying to make left and right brain work together...

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
        What do you think?.....Perhaps....Wood carving is 1/3 planning, 1/3 execution and 1/3 looking for the pencil or tool you just set down 2 minutes ago.
        yeah, that's something like that
        It gives me peace of mind to know i'm not the only one to have nasty joker tools !

Comment

See the wood
          Hear the wood
          Feel the wood
          be the wood
          become one with the wood
          or hack away at it til it starts to look like something and go with that..

My pencil just about always sits on top of my ear. You would think I could find it easy but at times I still can't find it.
          Greg

Comment

Most interesting you should mention left brain right brain. I firmly wonder if theres something to that. some days , actions turn out just right without thinking about it and other days there is no chance of anything feeling right.
            Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Woodcarving is what you put into it, or see and feel from the wood. I like listening to the trees when out and away from the civilized world. Sometimes they show me great spoon and bowl wood. Sometimes an owl or fish appears before your eyes and you just have to free it from the bark. RV, I understand your gift (or affliction!).

Comment

I can shift to Right Brain with little effort. Took a while to learn that ability.
                I think that it happens to many carvers = "I just don't know where the time went."
                You had a good time. You feel good, satisfied = that was Right Side.

It also happens to me when I'm kneading bread/pasta/pizza dough.
                No idea what the Zen thing is, but the gluten development is resistance that pops me out of it.

Seeing things in the wood:
                I brought home a piece of WRC, curved bit of log shell, 24" x 24" x 6" thick.
                For some reason, I stashed it in my big garden shed, not with any of the other wood piles.
                Honestly, I had to walk around that thing for 2 years.
                Then one day, looking at it, I thought: "Hmmmm. Could be a turtle."
                Another 6 months goes by.
                Maybe I finish that turtle this winter.
                Brian T

Comment

Re wood speaking to the carver: My wood screams in terror when I approach it...that's all it says except for the quiet screeching as my gouges dig ever deeper into its bowels. Poe missed the boat when he didn't include this in his horror stories...sort of a sideshow to "The Pit and The Pendulum."
                  Arthur

Comment

Maybe Arthur C. Poe should pen an appendix?
                    Brian T

Comment

What is wood carving? It is what has saved my life. Carving brings me peace in my troubled world, it is the one thing that I can still do, if I take my time and concentrate. It eases my pain and takes me to a whole other place while I'm carving. No right or left brain for me, mine got scrambled, and the medical folks told me carving is good therapy for me.
                      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Had to post this....as this is so true for me also....from a wood carver Gary Burns .....
                        TRUST ME ON THIS ~ some of the best times you'll ever have - are the times WHEN YOU'RE ALONE !
                        When you get to reminisce & enjoy your thoughts, your memories, and the relationships you've created. When you look in the mirror and you know you've given it your all - as imperfect as it may be. When you have perfect 'PEACE OF MIND'. When you know you've acted upon what YOU most treasure - not upon what means the most to others.

For me today, it was being alone, reminiscing at my studio, cooking a little rack of lamb, making a fire, toasting to all of my blessings with a delicious glass of Merlot - and leaving a little meal for my latest studio visitor. LIFE IS GOOD - and for this moment in time - (fully realizing I won't always be here physically) I'm extremely grateful to be a part of it
                        . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

As I suspected. The stories are as different as the carvers willing to speak up.

What's carving? My head is coming around to 4 Raven carvings, a big (24")single and a group of 18" three.
                          I do think that I can see them in some wood.
                          If the weather lets up and the avalanche risk drops, I'll get home for a look.

Happy New Year's, in the meantime.
                          Dileon = I wish you well. Hoping that you are in good health and good spirits.
                          Brian T

Comment

Wood Carving use to be very simple, some of us grew up with a pocket knife
                            and we just 'whittled away' with no big purpose and always seemed to 'whittle'
                            something interesting. Today 'pocket' knives are a 'no,no' for kids to have.
                            Oscar

Comment

I think would carving is planning out the project than removing everything that does not look like the project.
                              ~ Dwight
                              "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                                What do you think?.....Perhaps....Wood carving is 1/3 planning, 1/3 execution and 1/3 looking for the pencil or tool you just set down 2 minutes ago.
                                So glad to know I am not the only one who looses things I just set down.

Comment

Working...
                                X