Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krez68
    replied
    What woodcarving for me is. To get away from the world for a while and not think about anything else. Plus hoping not to cut myself. Plus its very relaxing, much better than sitting around watching television.

Wade R

Leave a comment:

• Tinwood
    replied
    Nice. Thanks for posting

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• MusicianOfTheNight
    replied
    This poem really sums it up for me:

"I saw this piece of wood one day
    When I picked it up it seemed to say

There's something hiding inside of me
    Remove some chips and you will see

I looked to see what I might find
    And soon an image came to mind

My task was now to set it free
    What's hidden in this piece of tree?

With loving care each cut was made
    Wood peeled off with a sharp-edged blade

And as each chip fell to the floor
    I could see the object more and more

By one final cut it was set free
    My work of art for all to see

This piece of wood which would just lay
    And see its body soon decay

Was now transformed and given life
    With careful cuts of gouge and knife

By carving something from this tree
    It lives again because of me"

The poem comes from a great book called The Complete Book of Woodcarving, Everything You Need to Know to Master the Craft by Everett Ellenwood

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    You're OK. I like to collect my thoughts with pencil drawings on 11x17 paper.
    I know there's a stack of 30+ sheets. Still looking.

Leave a comment:

• Currahee-twisted-sticks
    replied
    Originally posted by Dileon View Post
    What do you think?.....Perhaps....Wood carving is 1/3 planning, 1/3 execution and 1/3 looking for the pencil or tool you just set down 2 minutes ago.
    So glad to know I am not the only one who looses things I just set down.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight
    replied
    I think would carving is planning out the project than removing everything that does not look like the project.

Leave a comment:

• Gypsy31
    replied

Wood Carving use to be very simple, some of us grew up with a pocket knife
    and we just 'whittled away' with no big purpose and always seemed to 'whittle'
    something interesting. Today 'pocket' knives are a 'no,no' for kids to have.
    Oscar

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    As I suspected. The stories are as different as the carvers willing to speak up.

What's carving? My head is coming around to 4 Raven carvings, a big (24")single and a group of 18" three.
    I do think that I can see them in some wood.
    If the weather lets up and the avalanche risk drops, I'll get home for a look.

Happy New Year's, in the meantime.
    Dileon = I wish you well. Hoping that you are in good health and good spirits.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    Had to post this....as this is so true for me also....from a wood carver Gary Burns .....
    TRUST ME ON THIS ~ some of the best times you'll ever have - are the times WHEN YOU'RE ALONE !
    When you get to reminisce & enjoy your thoughts, your memories, and the relationships you've created. When you look in the mirror and you know you've given it your all - as imperfect as it may be. When you have perfect 'PEACE OF MIND'. When you know you've acted upon what YOU most treasure - not upon what means the most to others.

For me today, it was being alone, reminiscing at my studio, cooking a little rack of lamb, making a fire, toasting to all of my blessings with a delicious glass of Merlot - and leaving a little meal for my latest studio visitor. LIFE IS GOOD - and for this moment in time - (fully realizing I won't always be here physically) I'm extremely grateful to be a part of it

Leave a comment:

• squbrigg
    replied
    What is wood carving? It is what has saved my life. Carving brings me peace in my troubled world, it is the one thing that I can still do, if I take my time and concentrate. It eases my pain and takes me to a whole other place while I'm carving. No right or left brain for me, mine got scrambled, and the medical folks told me carving is good therapy for me.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Maybe Arthur C. Poe should pen an appendix?

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Re wood speaking to the carver: My wood screams in terror when I approach it...that's all it says except for the quiet screeching as my gouges dig ever deeper into its bowels. Poe missed the boat when he didn't include this in his horror stories...sort of a sideshow to "The Pit and The Pendulum."

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    I can shift to Right Brain with little effort. Took a while to learn that ability.
    I think that it happens to many carvers = "I just don't know where the time went."
    You had a good time. You feel good, satisfied = that was Right Side.

It also happens to me when I'm kneading bread/pasta/pizza dough.
    No idea what the Zen thing is, but the gluten development is resistance that pops me out of it.

Seeing things in the wood:
    I brought home a piece of WRC, curved bit of log shell, 24" x 24" x 6" thick.
    For some reason, I stashed it in my big garden shed, not with any of the other wood piles.
    Honestly, I had to walk around that thing for 2 years.
    Then one day, looking at it, I thought: "Hmmmm. Could be a turtle."
    Another 6 months goes by.
    Maybe I finish that turtle this winter.

Leave a comment:

• bowinhand
    replied
    Woodcarving is what you put into it, or see and feel from the wood. I like listening to the trees when out and away from the civilized world. Sometimes they show me great spoon and bowl wood. Sometimes an owl or fish appears before your eyes and you just have to free it from the bark. RV, I understand your gift (or affliction!).

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    Most interesting you should mention left brain right brain. I firmly wonder if theres something to that. some days , actions turn out just right without thinking about it and other days there is no chance of anything feeling right.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X