No announcement yet.

Tax Collector Elf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the issue that Mark has elf instruction and WCI magazine has it available for purchase.

Comment

Hi Kathy
      I think your elves are just great,I like the natural finish, if you are going share your plan for these elves I will have my mail box cleaned out ready for them
      Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce Thank you, I really like the natural finish too on these elves especially. As regards to elf plans...which are not my plans but belong to Mark Gargac. What I plan to do and I don't think Mark would mind is to draw the design onto the block. I'll give the measurements and carving sequence and you all just carve how you would like your elf to look. You are welcome to use my elves for placement of (eyes, nose, mouth etc.) models if you like.
        I'll put everything into this Topic. Please give Mark credit for the pattern.

Comment

Thank you for the info Kathy, took me about two minutes to find my issue of WCI containing the Gargac elves. I've got a stack of WCI on my table marked with projects that I'd like to do and it was sitting right on top of the stack. There's about eight other projects in there that I'm going to attempt someday and I guess I didn't see the forest for the trees. Most appreciated. Await your other info with great anticipation. (Doesn't mean I'm going to jump right on it because there's about thirty thousand other things in the need-to-be-done que before I get to this.Typical right?)

Tinwood

Comment

Yay, Tinwood So glad you have that issue and even if you don't get to it right away it's there when you are ready. I'm working on three projects right now, but that is the way I like to work. If I have a commission then of course that takes top priority.

Comment

Elf- Pattern by Mark Gargac www.gargacoriginals.com Mark has a video on carving Elves on his web page along with other subjects.
              In 2009 Mark did a mini workshop on Woodcarving Illustrated Forum for us along with directions and images. Sadly because of the attack on the site the images were lost. I’ve looked for the instructions but have found none. Maybe at some point Mark will come back and do another for us. You can also find Mark Gargac at www.carvinonline.com
              P1070438web.jpgP1070441web.jpg CLICK ON THUMB NAIL TO ENLARGE
              You are welcome to use my elves you have seen on the WCI Forums as ‘go by’s if you like.
              Basswood Triangular blank 7” inches length x 3” inches width or if you have a 2 ¼” x 2 ¼” x 21” inch basswood block you can yield 6 elves.
              When I carved my elves this is the sequence that I used from my notes
              1. Draw design onto the blank
              2. Roughout the areas around the elf
              3. Facial hair lines, hat line, nose, below cheek, mouth etc.
              4. Lips and Eyes
              5. Ears (save the ear tips until you are further along with the carving they are easy to brake off). I drew the ear shape I used onto the left side of the blank in pencil.
              6. Hat and Beard
              7. I woodburned the eyes and other details on my elves. Finish with sanding and use your favorite finish I used (BLO let dry and then Clear Spray Laquer.
              8. You can use acrylic paints to add color to your elf spray on one coat of clear laquer after painting.
              9. On some of my elves I added accessories such as earrings and one I added brass screws to the crown band.

Drawing design onto the blank (see image)
              Regarding the measurement’s you can change to make the beard longer or shorter, hat taller or shorter, ears taller or shorter. Experiment to see which measurement’s you like for your elf.
              The following are Mark Gargac’s suggested measurement’s
              ½” Width of top of hat (one side)
              1 ½” Height of ear
              ¾” Point where brim of hat meets the ear
              2” Measure to bottom of ear
              1” Bottom of nose to brim of hat
              2 ½” Measure to bottom of nose
              ¾” Width of ear
              ½” Width of bottom of beard
              Please give Mark Gargac credit for the pattern when you show your elf on WCI or any other web page.
              Thanks Kathy

Comment

Much appreciated Kathy, I've got this info filed away for future reference. Still my plan to get one of his tutorials as soon as I can. I also found the complimentary Santa article that preceded this one in WCI. So much to do, so little time....where to start first?

Tinwood

Comment

Hi Tinwood You welcome, Mark has some good video's I also have his Mountain Man carving using Cottonwood. Will look forward to when you carve your elf.

Comment

Great Elf Kathy!
                    Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

Comment

Hi Steve Thank you, he was a fun carve.

Comment

Hi Kathy
                        I am just trying to test the missing icon
                        It is not showing on this page
                        Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
                          Hi Kathy
                          I am just trying to test the missing icon
                          It is not showing on this page
                          Bruce
                          Are you talking about the camera icon? I haven't seen it I guess some get it...hee hee

Comment

That elf is tip top!
                            Herb

Comment

Thank you, for your nice compliment.

Comment

A nice carving, Kathy.

Comment

Working...
                                X