Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need something to whittle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need something to whittle?

    Try this little bamboo thingy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI8oYMPC5Vo
    Terry

  • #2
    Hi Terry
    I don't think I will be making too many tea whisks today,my bamboo got too wet from the rain last night LOL
    It is remarkable how they make things like that
    Bruce

    Comment


    • #3
      Do you think his tools are sharp?......lol

      Comment


      • #4
        Not for me, but you have to admire the skill.
        Joe

        Comment


        • #5
          That's some patience. Would like to know, how long it takes to do one. Very good eyesight also!

          Comment


          • #6
            That was interesting. I didn't see how they tied the fibers in the middle cone.

            Comment


            • #7
              My word!, Isn't that a beautiful little thing? Thanks for showing Terry. Can't imagine trying to "chamfer" something that small and delicate.

              Tinwood

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tinwood View Post
                My word!, Isn't that a beautiful little thing? Thanks for showing Terry. Can't imagine trying to "chamfer" something that small and delicate.

                Tinwood
                I totally agree! Interestingly, you can buy these on ebay pretty cheap. It's a little confusing though as to where they are made. Evidently some of them say Made in Japan but then underneath is another sticker that says Made in China. Next time I do an Amazon order, I think I'm gonna get one just because.

                https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046XMM8U...=2DZ6E74MCL3VU
                Terry

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nomad View Post

                  I totally agree! Interestingly, you can buy these on ebay pretty cheap. It's a little confusing though as to where they are made. Evidently some of them say Made in Japan but then underneath is another sticker that says Made in China. Next time I do an Amazon order, I think I'm gonna get one just because.

                  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046XMM8U...=2DZ6E74MCL3VU
                  $39.99 USD from company specializing in Japanese products....https://www.ochaandco.com/products/j...reen-tea-whisk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post

                    $39.99 USD from company specializing in Japanese products....https://www.ochaandco.com/products/j...reen-tea-whisk
                    Those look like the real deal Eddy. Thanks for the link!
                    Terry

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was amazed that one of the videos said that for all the work, they are only good for about 8-10 uses. Seems to me that they would last longer than that.

                      Tom
                      If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

                      www.spokanecarvers.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
                        I was amazed that one of the videos said that for all the work, they are only good for about 8-10 uses. Seems to me that they would last longer than that.

                        Tom
                        Tom....They are pretty fragile and delicate. I don't imagine that they made for everyday use but for special tea occasions. It's probably like the wife bringing out her good china for a special holiday.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          These tea whisks are used for making macha, which is brewed from ground up tea leaves rather than by infusion, so the abrasive effect of the ground up leaves wears out the whisk.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Almost makes me want to start carving bamboo.....naaaa, I think I'll stick with basswood!
                            Keep On Carvin'
                            Bob K.

                            My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving


                            My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9


                            My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood


                            My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              OSHA would have a field day here.
                              Bill
                              Living among knives and fire.

                              http://www.westernwoodartist.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X