Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cottonwood Bark

Hello,
    I am not a wood carver, but I met a very skilled one a few years ago. I have access to a great deal of big cottonwood bark from near the Powder River of Wyoming. The carver I met asked me to get some for him, and I did so, but I never heard back from him. I've got maybe 20-30 pounds of it. Some of it is 3.5 to 4 inches thick, about 6 inches wide and up to 5 feet long. It's been in my shed for about a year, and I'm tired of storing it. Is there any value to this stuff, or should I throw it in the firewood pile?

Thanks for any advise. I can be reached at brentsobotka@yahoo.com

There are many carvers who love to carve cottonwood bark. Don't throw it in the firewood pile! Someone will contact you. Phil Allin - Ventura, CA

Comment

Sent you an email.
      ....Dave
      Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
      www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Sent an email too.
        Dean

Comment

Thanks guys,
          Dave, I responded to your e-mail. Dean, I didn't get yours. Would you mind trying again.
          I'm going to try attaching a picture of the bark. We'll see how this goes;

Comment

Sent email with contact info

Thanks
            Dean

Comment

A whole lot of us use Cottonwood Bark, you should
              learn how to carve it, as it's fun, and makes great projects!
              Oscar

Comment

Oscar
                I'm a fair woodworker, and as a natural extension of that, I've tried carving. The stuff I made was truly pathetic. It fit well in the fireplace though. I don't seem to have any talent for freehand artistic stuff.

I was down by the river this morning, and since there seems to be some interest in this cottonwood bark, I tossed a few more chunks in the truck. So if anyone needs any, just give me a holler, I can probably find whatever you need, though the five inch thick stuff will take a little hunting. Three inch thick is very plentiful.

Comment

Working...
                X