Pattern size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pattern size

When you make your own patterns for something like a caraciture, how much larger do you make the pattern, considering the finished carving will be smaller and of course keeping everything in close proportions?

Personally, I don't. Instead I make the pattern the intended size of the carving and cut outside the lines when band sawing, then carve down to the intended size.

Comment

I hope that I remember to chop the roughout no closer than 1/4" from the final line.
      That leaves lots of wood for the fun carving part.

Comment

Originally posted by Steev View Post
        Personally, I don't. Instead I make the pattern the intended size of the carving and cut outside the lines when band sawing, then carve down to the intended size.
        Ditto. I do as Steev does.
        Arthur

Comment

Like the others I cut the pattern out Just out side the pattern lines.
          Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

This is one case where it's best to stay outside the lines... . Leave a little extra, you can always carve it away.

Comment

I always carve at least a 1/4 inch beyond the pattern line......sometimes more. This gives me lots of room to redesign an area if I wish to.

Comment

I cant put a figure on it but I guess 1/4 to 1/2 feels about right

Comment

What,you use patterns,I rarely use patterns or rough outs, I guess I am devil for punishment LOL
                  Bruce

Comment

Like Bruce, I don't use cutouts. I start with a block of wood and start cutting to see where it goes.

John

Comment

Ok, thanks guys. I have been doing about the same as y’all anyway, I was just wondering if there might be a better way. You hardcore guys with no patterns are awesome, I usually need a starting point.

Comment

Guess I am getting late to the party. I try to keep within 1/8" around the edge of the pattern, both front and side views. I don't use patterns on some small projects such as the little Jack Price characters.

Anything else I carve I make my own blank with a band saw...I am in the carving smarter, not harder crowd!

Comment

Sizing can be easy enough on a copy machine and having wood outside is a comfort zone for grain issues that blades find. I make some 50 cent size items and also make the dollar bill size of the same item. Doing 1/4" or 1/2" outside the small stuff - one might not bother with a saw :-) Have Four times the wood needed if to cautious. Depends on the size as to the margin. Also the hand skil with tired body or not on the saw when cutting. So much to consider. 1/4" on a 'foot' ball - any kind , round or pointy - is perfect. When I size or modify a design, I often import it into my CAD program, modify it as needed, then output it to my plotter. The pen draws a nice black line. I can define the line width and expense an expensive wide or narrow pen.

Comment

Working...
                          X