No announcement yet.

Why do you carve?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it relaxing and it is in my price range.

Comment

Because it is old school cool.getting a barn beam and getting 3 duck decoys .spoons and bowls,whittling figures,sometimes with no pattern a pocket Knife the best in a carver shines.

Comment

I have multiple generations that carved. I have carving from two of them and I'm the third. I started as a young teen if that much and stopped when I went overseas. Got out of a world wide rat race and now I get to relax and enjoy some years. I doubt my son will due the feel that a knife in hand means a cut on his hand. He stopped turning wood when a chunk about the size of a computer mouse sprang out of a twisted block of wood he was trying. He cut into some grain that was a trigger and the whole block came apart. It wasn't a catch except for the block on his head shield and it broke the bonnet part holding the shield. I have several items he turned.

Comment

To decorate my home with things that matter to my home, myself and my family rather than just what was available from mass production.
          To create unique things.
          It's a compulsion.
          Woodcarving is the first of any type of artistic effort that has worked in my brain.
          Woodcarving involves not only mental skills, but physical activity
          The end results give me a sense of satisfaction that I have rarely found in anything else in my life.

Comment

I love the touch of something from nature and working with wood it is not cold like bronze, nor slimmy like clay....it is the best medium in my own opinion to work with. Plus I am artist, which mean I make things because I have to ....not because I always want to.

Comment

In 1992 while living in Klamath Falls, Oregon, where it snowed on the daily bases in
              Winter. I built a good sized insulated work shop where I stored all of my 'toys' like Table
              Saw, Band Saw and all other 'carpentry toys'. However since I didn't have to much
              spare time as I was recruited to a new job that took up my spare time. Ten years
              later I quit my job, therefore, I had plenty of time to work on a wooden hunting bows as I
              did of my hunting with 'long bows'. To make my bows more realistic, I learned how to carve
              animal faces on my bow handles. I later became 'hooked' on wood carving, so I bought
              every book available on wood carving, plus I met with other wood carvers that lived in my
              area or other towns. So to make a long story shorter, I guess I really started wood carving
              seriously about fifteen years.
              Oscar

Comment

An interesting question and I am sure each of us has differing answers. I have always carved. Since I was old enough to hold a pocket knife, I was always creating something. As I aged, I began to get better at it and improved my skills. I was always asking myself: "I wonder if I can do that?" if I saw something that inspired me. I'd try and some times fail, but other times did okay and that just made me want to do better. Ships were always my thing, and wood is my medium, so ship models were a natural. Now I carve everything, cause if I can carve something one size, then I can carve it smaller and make it fit on a model, so all carving makes me a better ship modeller. Now a day, I carve to keep my mind occupied with something positive, instead of dwelling on my pain and limitations since a car accident changed my life, carving is great therapy, both for handling pain, but also for cognitive difficulties. You have to do what you can to survive, so carving helps me do that.

Bob
                Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Wood Caving after or before retirement is cheaper the a Shrink!
                  Oscar

Comment

I do all kinds of woodworking, I carve to enhance other projects and because I think I can...Adding carving to turnings and furniture takes them up a notch out of the ordinary.

Comment

As a kid growing up on a farm, you created a lot of your own toys by carving them. Slingshots, spears, rubber band guns, toy cars, trucks, and boats. We also camped a lot and I learned to make a proper tent stake very early on. Wood was what we used to create most things, from gates to toboggans. When I got into boy scouts, I learned to carve whimseys, fire boards and drills, and neckerchief slides. Carving and creating in wood was always great fun. Still is.

All I wanna do is have some fun
                      I got a feelin' I'm not the only one
                      I got a feelin' I'm not the only one
                      Until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Boulevard
                      Terry

Comment

After getting moderate/severe Arthritis, I was pushed into an early retirement. Almost every joint in my body is or has been affected, so I didn't think I would be able to do much of anything. I couldn't even open the peanut butter jar. I knew I couldn't give up. One day, visiting my Dad, he asked me if I ever tried carving. We sat and watched a program where a man was carving a bird, and the conversation between Dad and I was short and to the point.
                        Not long after he past away, an Uncle past away and I was given some carving tools. They didn't set long in the shop, because I often thought about Dad and decided to use his words as a challenge for motivation. Now I find caving enjoyable, relaxing, and therapeutic on my hands, and at the same time decorating our house, the church, and any body else who decides they can't live without one of my cut ups.
                        So, what is your story Deleon?

Comment

Originally posted by cut up View Post
                          After getting moderate/severe Arthritis, I was pushed into an early retirement. Almost every joint in my body is or has been affected, so I didn't think I would be able to do much of anything. I couldn't even open the peanut butter jar. I knew I couldn't give up. One day, visiting my Dad, he asked me if I ever tried carving. We sat and watched a program where a man was carving a bird, and the conversation between Dad and I was short and to the point.
                          Not long after he past away, an Uncle past away and I was given some carving tools. They didn't set long in the shop, because I often thought about Dad and decided to use his words as a challenge for motivation. Now I find caving enjoyable, relaxing, and therapeutic on my hands, and at the same time decorating our house, the church, and any body else who decides they can't live without one of my cut ups.
                          So, what is your story Deleon?
                          Severe arthritis at the age of 48 hit hard and fast.....it got so bad ended up in a wheel chair and out of work and had to sell my home because no work ...no mortage. Fact was at the time I was told by the doctors I had bone cancer, but later I was told it was very bad arthritis. Been artist since I was a kid went to college study fine art as a major, did it very long time professionally until I wanted a steady job. Anyway...had to put the house up for sell in Honolulu....and I moved into the country side and learned a new life. Tons and tons doctors...but the wheel chair life (still could walk although not easy) was a shock because I did major martial arts and mountain trekking....talk about depressed. For a few years I just tried to do learn how to deal with the pain which as you know is one of the worst kinds of pain you can have. I started making cement statues the doctors where having fits about the lifting weight....and decided to rip apart my house and put in wood floors.....mind you did it anyway just did not tell the doctors any more. Extremely strong and forced those joints to move even when I landed in ER a few times for outrageous pain.

Anyway my mother died ....she was an artist who had great skill but never did anything with her talent. I got my grandfathers carving and leather tools that I had been begging for over the years when she passed.... something about her death got me really serious about doing real art again. I made a statue it was a wizard and he was carrying a cage with eye inside it..... and showed it to a few neighbors that make designer furniture turn bowls...,.... and they gave me wood and mentor my work. I got on here and learn how to carve. Believe me it was hard to learn (pain and the meds) ...but I noticed it I was able to enjoy the work, and it was dangerous enough I had to use my mind to focus on what I was doing ....instead of the pain. Today I am seriously disabled...but I do more them the average person. My hands look like a disaster site....my back is a mess.... the shoulders are dying a slow death... every joint is not good....LOL but I do it anyway.... many doctor say much of what I do is impossible because of the damage, but I am still doing. Worst thing is because I drop things as my thumbs do not work and I get hurt alot....but nothing hurts as bad as my bones!!...I kept on doing and leaning. Can not tell you how many times I cut my hands....stop going to docs for stitches and fix myself. I have had a few bad falls....one was down the mountain.....that one three broken ribs ...busted leg and really did a number on my back.....that sucker never really healed and gives me issues.....but I keep on to keep on. Right now I am homebound hip, back issues....all I got is my cats and my home and carving,... wish I could do it all day and night but those days are gone. Could say the only reason why I live is to carve and right now I am making massive paintings for a church....., I really have nothing else left ..... I am an hermit artist. I have alot people who are supportive of my work, I get tons of wood, tools and other things from the people who work in wood on the islands, which I am extremely gratitude. I no longer take any meds which help....I do not cut myself with the chisels anymore....LOL I believe today...the doctors have lost their minds....life is better without their using me as test model for their latest surgery and meds that almost killed me.

I met a master wood carver from Thailand on line about three years ago...he showed me his old work....the carving was this old man in a massive root ball......like cage believe me.... it was massive and awesome, ...how long did it take him ...five years. ....that was when I got serious about seeing how far could I go with carving. I am turtle fast in carving to make money is impossible....so it is about the creative side and doing art for art sake.

Comment

I whittled some back when I was a Boy Scout. Nowhere near as proficient as pallin's Boy Scout whittling. Quit about the time I went off to college. I am not sure exactly what triggered my desire to start whittling again. It was not long after I retired, so I needed something to do. Not long after I quit smoking, so I REALLY needed something to do with my hands. That's probably it.

I was an engineer kind of person. Never artistic, rarely creative. These whimsies appeal to the draftsman / technician / engineer in me. Just about all of them are mechanical devices of some kind that 'work' even better when the tolerances are close. And that means technical skills are needed. Learning a skill set or acquiring knowlege has always been fun for me. Having whimsical curiosities made from beautiful woods is a reward to my ego. So I keep doing it.

Comment

Working...
                            X