No announcement yet.

Beginner Carver Is Flexicut any Good ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Carver Is Flexicut any Good ?

Hi There just wondering If flexicut products are any good they seem good but as i am new to carving know idea love your feed back guys cheers. Jim

They are not everybody's favourites, but the quality is good and they come carving sharp.

Comment

After using my pocketknife for a while, Flexcut was my first couple of knives dedicated just to whittling. I still use the detail knife. They are good knives but the shape of the handles is not everyone's preference. Go for it.

Comment

I have a few of the Flexcut in my travel gear, I would replace them if needed. I like them, for the price they are a good buy.

Comment

I use my Flexcut every day, have been for nine years now. If something happened to one I would replace it with another Flexcut. I also have other makes of knives.
          . . .JoeB

Comment

The knives are good, they have comfortable handles and come carving sharp. The gouges that come with a single handle are sharp and comfortable but they flex with pressure. I prefer solid gouges although I have a flexcut set for travel.

Comment

I have flex cut got them when first carving......and they are still among the many carving knives I use. They are not the best but they last and they are worth the amount of money paid....worth the investment. The best should be left for later. when you decided to continue carving for the years later and you sort of know what you want and don"t want. And what people use...is a learning process.

Comment

Gouges and v-tools, yes, knives not so much. For the money the gouges and v-tools are very good, and great for a beginner. There are much better choices for knives in the same price range. OCC Tools knives, Deepwoods Ventures knives, and Helvie are maybe just a bit more that Flexcut knives, but are way superior, in my opinion.

I am the poster child for thinking that cheaper is better when you are starting. I could have saved myself both in money and frustration by buying quality once and having a much better experience when I started.

Good Luck!

Comment

I have both Flexcut knives and gouges. As mentioned Flexcut tools all come carving sharp and are good tools for the money. I don't use the knives anymore because I don't like the feel of the handles...they are very uncomfortable in my hand. However, I have a bunch of Flexcut palm gouges and use them all the time. I like the way they feel and cut.
                  Keep On Carvin'
                  Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

The best feature of the Flexcut pocket knives is that the blades lock.other non locking knives that I noticed people like us the Swiss army tinker without the corkscrew and hacksaw and file the ring holder that is in the way,get the Phillips head version, the Case 3 blade whittler , seahorse Boker and Buck.

Comment

I used thier tool for many years, served me well. I found I prefer Drake but still use a few flexcut palm tools.
                      Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

I use the Flexcut gouges on every relief carving. I made most of the handles myself, but I do have several that came handled. I like Flexcut very much, and despite the name, I don't see or feel any flex when carving with them. Good tools at reasonable prices. You can't go wrong with them.
                        Arthur

Comment

I use the Flexcut and what you use might also be a function of the type of carving you do.
                          Bill
                          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I'll be the bearer of the bad news:

"Carving sharp" doesn't last. Flexcut or Pfeil, all the same.
                            Depending on the wood you work in, the edge may start to dull in 30 minutes (extra soft woods like cedar).

That means you owe yourself a favor to learn to sharpen your edges, carving sharp.

I suggest that you call around and find your nearest carving club.
                            No matter what the carving style, the sharpening techniques are all the same.
                            Direct help is the fastest way to shorten the learning curve, no matter how many YouTubes you watch.
                            Brian T

Comment

YES!
                              More letters needed

Comment

Working...
                              X