No announcement yet.

Beginner Carver Is Flexicut any Good ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your choice of tools will not make or break your becoming a carver. Many of us started with whatever we had on hand. The results are more dependent on what's in YOU. As RV noted, learning to sharpen your tools will be essential.

039.JPG

Comment

Flexcut tools are sharp and fairly easy to keep that way. Not a lot of strength to the steel, so small cuts. I have several of their knives and gouges and they work for me, but I find Pfeil tools better in the long run. Strop often.

Bob
      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I got a Narex Set And they Apparently have three grades of gouges. beginner,mid,and professional.they have some sets in boxes like spoon makers,long bent set,and other really nice tools that I use,sharpened and carry a sharp edge. I used narex for spoons .

Comment

Got them when I started as a Beginner and Guess I'm still a Beginner because I still use them , Knives and Gouges. As you have Read most People have them and have Different Opinions and you must try them as we did to see if they are right for you. Good Tools. Merle

Comment

If you buy Flexcut gouges or v-tools I suggest that you buy the Flexcut strop. It will make stropping much easier.
            Bill K.
            Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

One thing that I should add. I find Flexcut tools good for softer woods like Basswood and Butternut. For harder woods like Cherry, Walnut and Mahogany I prefer Pfeil or Henry Taylors.

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Since I only carve in basswood, that would limit my advice beyond that, but this info is good to know
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by Bob K. View Post
                  I have both Flexcut knives and gouges. As mentioned Flexcut tools all come carving sharp and are good tools for the money. I don't use the knives anymore because I don't like the feel of the handles...they are very uncomfortable in my hand. However, I have a bunch of Flexcut palm gouges and use them all the time. I like the way they feel and cut.
                  I'm with Bob 100% I do use flex cut knives when carving hardwoods for spoons and such though. They have a less acute bevel than my basswood carving knives and hold up well to carving seasoned hard wood. Not overly fond of the knife handles though.
                  Terry

Comment

Buying Flexcut knives when I started is my biggest regret. They do NOT come sharp, so it's hard to learn what "sharp" really means until you try something else. They were challenging for me to hold as well.

I DO recommend buying the Flexcut Slipstrop and long strop. They are the easiest and least expensive of their types to acquire. That gold compound is all you'll need for your first few years of carving.

I ended up buying a small collection (5 tools) of Pfeil after struggling with the Flexcuts and I could never go back. I've continued acquiring Pfeil for large gouges, Drake for palm tools and Morakniv for spoon scoops and small knives for in-the-round carving. The Flexcuts sit in a box and make me feel guilty for spending money on them.

Comment

I started with flexcut for my first few years - I think they're a great place to start - especially if you want an economical choice, or you're not sure which profiles you will use most. Get the interchangeable handle, too, as some people do the shape kind of awkward, but you can flip the handle with the interchangeable set, which might be more comfortable to some.
                      I find the flexcuts give me blisters 'cause the sides of the blades aren't rounded, and I find they don't feel as sturdy, and don't hold an edge as well as, say, pfeil tools. But they do come sharp and can be sharpened (I've seen enough that can't), but they just don't hold their edge as long as something like pfeil. You can also be more aggressive, or more comfortably carve the harder woods (like apple or cherry) with a pfeil tool. But they hold an edge better than mora.

I carved mostly those very hard woods with flexcut my first few years, and did just fine with them - but I also noticed a big difference when I moved to the pfeil on my favorite profiles - less sharpening, more carving, and just better leverage with the sturdier pfeil tool - but I still say, flexcut is an outstanding tool to begin with, and I doubt you'll find anything even close to as good for the price. They're certainly good tools.

Comment

I doubt any of us regulars would be tempted by the above post by "Henri02", but it appears to be either a scam or a spam or a phishing attempt. Do NOT click on the link buried in it. I just now reported it.

Comment

Thanks for reporting, Hank!

Claude
                          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/beadman1

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Working...
                          X