Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your interests outside of carving?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I can't even really say that carving is my hobby right now. In the past 6 years, my wife and I have adopted 5 special needs children from foster care (two sibling groups: three brothers, and a newborn girl and her older brother). So I've given myself permission not to feel guilty for not carving. I do some woodworking on my lunch hour at work, and teach woodworking classes to the rest of the staff, but at home, if I'm not parenting, I'm reading (LOVE the Kindle App on my phone), or playing hack-and-slash video games with my wife after the kids go to bed. I am teaching my kiddos to play Dungeons & Dragons, and we do play a lot of board games, so I guess that would be a hobby.

Comment

Wow, BobD! I am in awe of what you and your wife are doing...what a good and noble calling, enfolding those children into your family. Hobbies be ****ed, you have a mission in life to attend to!

Time spent with children is so important, and we teach them more through our day to day example than we can ever do otherwise. We raised six children of our own, and a large family has a lot of moving parts (literally and figuratively), so one thing is certain...it never gets boring. Frazzling perhaps, but never boring! I'll stop my comments now, before I start opining on how to raise kids!
      Arthur

Comment

There will be time for carving later, you & your wife have got your priorities straight
        . . .JoeB

Comment

LOL. Thanks everyone. I'm teaching my 13 year old to carve. He already loves to use the scroll saw. And I also have the kiddos help me turn the pens they give to their teachers and bus drives--even if my three year old just helps me assemble it. They love helping me with "projects" and I love to get them involved. My earliest memories are standing at my little workbench with a hammer and flat screwdriver hacking away at a chunk of 2x4 while my dad was standing at his bench hand-chopping dovetails. We moved away from that house when I was three. I want my kiddos to have memories like that.

Comment

baseball, rock'n'roll, reading, jigsaw puzzles, sudoku, psychology, philosophy, I don't really get into the last 2 though.

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
              There will be time for carving later, you & your wife have got your priorities straight
              Totally agree. You’re a man angel.

Comment

Hunting, fishing, wood turning.

Comment

Besides woodcarving, working musician, former motorcycle instructor, NRA firearms instructor, scrimshander and whatever else I can get past my wife.....hehehe
                  Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

My fb page: https://www.facebook.com/stephen.ree...8.100000156660 683&type=3

Comment

Thanks for posting this question. It’s always nice learning about fellow woodcarvers. My other hobbies include restoring our antique hand carved miniature circus parade and building circus and carousel models. I’m an avid circus, carnival and carousel historian. Currently I’m serving as National Carousel Association President. If I can share any of my passions with fellow woodcarvers, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Patrick Wentzel email - president@carousels.org

Comment

I try to stay (sometimes force) myself to try different things, which is how I started carving a little more than a year ago. Recently took a ceramics class and have really enjoyed it. I have little desire to use a wheel or make bowls, but I enjoy making character type/folk stuff. I still play guitar and also spend a lot of time fabricating parts for my street motorcycle (Triumph Tbird Sport) when not riding my motocross bike. Love learning graphic/animation computer programs, but my brain doesn't retain things like it use to so I'm starting to pull away from that.

Comment

ok I'm tempted first my dog whatever he needs is number one 2nd the yard and maintaining my supply of firewood which is rapidly dwindling and lastly guitar, i played classical for 20 years and recently went back to electric which my wife hates and now I'm trying to play catch up and learn the various modern methods of playing which is a bit more sophisticated than what i played from the sixties, If your curious I gotta play Hendrix, the old blues, zztop and now I'm bridging into Ozzy Metallica and the new Judas Priest. Tough stuff when your 71 and don't have the suppleness of youth and worn out arthritic hands but still fun

Comment

Working...
                        X