Wood Carving Safety Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Carving Safety Tips

I am a beginner to woodcarving, So I need some safety tips and ideas of woodcarving.
    Thanks

Tools are only used to cut wood.
    Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Go to.....Wood Carving Tips and Techniques post . Click the thread called.....
      Some basic safety tip
      ...I put an old thread that addresses this subject in a very good way. ..
      Last edited by DiLeon; 06-27-2018, 10:56 AM.
      . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Don't scratch your nose with your knife in your hand! Wear a glove and thumbguard, and make sure your tools are sharp...dull tools will not cut wood very well, but still cut flesh quite easily!

Comment

What kind of carving are you doing? If you hold the wood, you need hand protection. If you use a chainsaw, very different.
          Mallet and gouge carvers usually work away from themselves. A bib-front apron is good for crooked knife work.
          Brian T

Comment

A kevlar glove helps prevent or minimize a slicing cut. It's not much good for stopping a stab.
            HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Hi Brian
              Buy good quality band aids,I like the waterproof ones
              Bruce

Comment

Know where your cut is heading. Remember, a slip of the tip and your up schitz crik! That's when, for sure, you'll need Bruce's band aids

Tinwood

Comment

Safety issues can vary with the type of carving you do. Some basic would include safety glasses, dust mask and good dust control for sanding or power carving, sawing and so on. . Safety / carving glove. A good first aid kit for cuts. If possible visit a carving club if there is one within a reasonable drive. You can learn a lot watching other carvers. Here is a web site you may find helpful for beginning carving.
                  http://blog.mischel.com/gene-messers-carving-videos/
                  We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                  https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Don't carve barefooted on a concrete floor. It's ok on a wooden floor, but then you should never use your foot to try and save the edge!

Comment

Dabidbrian asks for suggestions on what he should do?
                      To save his fingers from cuts through and through.

Should he buy gloves, thumb guard and glasses?
                      To keep sharp objects from damaging slashes.

Of course, we all think these have great merit!
                      We constantly emphasize rules we can parrot.

So in these final few words that might be insightful!
                      You should find a good club where carving is delightful.

Rodster
                      https://rodster.ca

Comment

Originally posted by dabidbrian View Post
                        I am a beginner to woodcarving, So I need some safety tips and ideas of woodcarving.
                        Thanks
                        My father in law is a woodworker. at last 20 years old he does the work. So, I want to suggest my father in law for woodcarving tool and about safety. He has gave me the best reviews site for woodworking tools. I visited that reviews site at thereviewsearch.com. And I get more woodworking tools reviews for DIY. I hope, you also benefitted.

Comment

I do carve small products mostly held in or fixed by my left hand. Here are my safety tips:
                          - Never ever hurry! Almost all of my hobby injuries I got by hurring myself up
                          - I ware a safety glove on my left hand, just for the case my tool slips of the wood
                          - I hold my chisels most of the time very near to their edge, not at the handle. This gives me more control and reduces a risk of slipping of
                          - In case I need to hold the chisel at its handle, I press one or more fingers of my left hand against the chisel in opposide direction of the cutting move (like stoper). Doing so if my right hand slipps of, the fingers of my left hand immediately stop the tool from traveling further
                          - I keep my tools as sharp as possible at any time. Once you get a suspicion your edge is just about to getting dull, stop working and go couple of passes over a leather strop or your finishing stone. The duller the tool the more force you need to apply the more risk for slipping of and curring yourself

happy carving!
                          Philipp

Comment

1. To me, mallet & gouge carving is always done away from myself so that safety is never an issue.
                            I'm more likely to get cut, taking out gouges or putting them away.

2. Most of the time, a crooked knife is used with pull strokes so chest protection is essential.
                            The curved cuts look funny, they sting and cut open a perfectly good shirt.

3. The only thing that can stop an elbow or D adze is bone.
                            Always plan for the trajectory of a swing and a miss.

4. Figure out 101 different ways to anchor the carving on the bench.

Brian T

Comment

Working...
                            X