Does long road trip mean no carving?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lionslair View Post
    Rest stop lunch time. Rest stop carving / relaxing time.
    Good Idea. I like it

Comment

I swear by my carving apron. I tried several designs and settled on a simple design, no pockets, just wide enough to cover my legs and long enough to go beyond my knees. The one I use most often is made of deerskin with the chest area of elk hide, to resist cuts and protect my chest. The deer hide lets the chips slide smoothly into a pile and easy to empty as the fibers of the wood chips can't catch or snag as they do with a cotton or canvas apron.

Bob
      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

No.

Comment

I used to drive like Hello from Point A to Point B and some of those days were long ones.
          Now, I limit my drives to 250 miles/400 km. Leaves daylight carving time in the summer.
          I take only simple hand work or I'd have to haul along half my shop.
          I won't carve if I'm visiting and my host is home.

Last few trips, I did take tools and wood and didn't get a thing done at all. Didn't care.

Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
            As far as the hotel/motel go, "It's easier to ask forgiveness than to beg for permission."
            My Dad was a freelance photographer in the late 40s and early 50s. He always said get the picture, then apologize.
            Bill
            Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
              Diane Taylor Canvas Carving Apron at Amazon. I got one to carve in the evening in the recliner, doesn't catch all the chip, but certainly helps
              Thank you. I just bought one.

Comment

Whittlin' fits can strike at any time!
                I often whittle fan birds while waiting for my food in a cafe, and give them to the servers. They are usually very grateful.
                I am careful to keep the majority of the shavings on the table, and then sweep them into the plate after I have finished eating. It is apparent to the dishwasher that I am on a VERY high fiber diet!

Comment

I do occasionally carve while traveling. I use a welders apron to catch the chip, make only shallow cuts with a sharp blade, and never rush. It’s usually only on the freeway between OKC and Little Rock where I know the roads.

Comment

Originally posted by tbox61 View Post
                    This is what I use...a modified top from a box of printer paper. Works well, but have never tried it in a car! Also, you can set a tool down in it and not have to worry about the edge getting dinged up on the cardboard.
                    Me too! Works great in the living room watching tv with the missus too!

Comment

Working...
                    X