No announcement yet.

Show us your work area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s my carving space. We moved to our new place here two years ago with a good size shed / workshop out back. The shed had this covered car port attached to the actual working shed. It had a dirt floor and one wall. So we did some work.

it’s worked very well having a dedicated place to carve as I’m a very dusty power carver with loads of fine sawdust generated. And having the shed next door isolated from this is a bonus. It houses the metal working side of things with all the tool storage.
    like they say sparks and sawdust don’t get along.

regards
    Richard
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Richard,
      That’s a pretty nice view you have yourself.
      Ed
      Living in a pile of chips.
      https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenInWood
      https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Well this is my workspace. I have a desk set up for metal engraving, inlay and pyrography. The microscope is brilliant for all of those applications.

My garage has become the workshop as such. It is a caotic mess of truly outstanding proportions and I keep telling myself I will get around to sorting it out one day but I keep getting sidetracked with projects that I just have to have a go at so it falls by the wayside.

Most of my electrical tools are tooline or Ryobi. I have a 8" planer /thicknesser,which is ok. A decent size tooline drill press which is not good for precision drilling at all. It is pretty clunky and rough and wont take small drill bits. If you are thinking of getting one of these do yourself a favour DON'T. The tooline wood lathe is ok but way underpowered for anything over about 200mm thick.. The ryobi belt sander is brilliant. The tooline bandsaw is ok and does pretty well anything I ask of it. One does have to keep an eye on the set up of it as screws tend to come undone on the guides.

My bench saw is a homemade one and is adequate.

my graversmith engraving set up is very good and works a treat. The Razortip pyrography unit is good. The microscope. (Swift I think) out of china is just totally awesome in every respect.

My gear is as you see is not top of the line but with care It can produce the goods. It wont last a lifetime like the more industrial tooling does but it doesn't come with that sort of price tag, neither does it have to last for ever . Only as long as I do so is adequate I think.

Comment

When I finally got to a place to be able to have a "shop " . Where it was, wasn't where I had intended it to be nor as big as I thought it should be. After moving up to eastern central WA. state from Or. I had BIG plans an 18'x 20' shop .... well after regulations set me in my place. I reconstructed a "shed" an 8'x 20', the previous owner had stuck on the side of the garage. Now a gleaming 8x 30' shop with a 5' build on to accommodate a few extras. Now have storage for my drawings, and such, Oh and the OWL I have been working one for over a year. image4.jpeg image1.jpeg image5.jpeg
          Chuck
          Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

DSCN8866.JPG
            Last edited by Eric B; 02-08-2021, 03:34 PM. Reason: New low budget outdoor carving station.

Comment

Eric: that is wonderful! I was going to say "so cool" but that isn't funny at this time of year.
              Close that in, get an Air-tite stove in there an you will have to leave the door open.
              I like the sky light = shadow free until you need a desk lamp.
              Reminds me of First Nations carving sheds full of cedar mess and poles. I can smell it.
              Brian T

Comment

I went over the wall and quit the real "work thing" about 15 years ago.
                Across my "play space," I collect wood, stone, minerals, sand for abrasive and ruffed grouse to eat.
                Holmes1013As.jpg

This is "recent" but so old that my early crooked knives still have square handles.
                Historically, I was just about at the point to begin exploring handle shapes.

Rivers 2013 Show 018.jpg
                Brian T

Comment

This is my little nook, in the back porch! Right beside the shop vac
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by BeckyN View Post
                    This is my little nook, in the back porch! Right beside the shop vac
                    So, BeckyN I have to ask, what is the round piece in the upper left corner of your desk? It looks like a piece of Mahogany ?And your small area , not digging,,,looks a lot like my first carving table.. And love your Mouse. Oh wait is that a little shrew? We had them in Alaska.
                    Chuck In eastern WA.
                    Chuck
                    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post

So, BeckyN I have to ask, what is the round piece in the upper left corner of your desk? It looks like a piece of Mahogany ?And your small area , not digging,,,looks a lot like my first carving table.. And love your Mouse. Oh wait is that a little shrew? We had them in Alaska.
                      Chuck In eastern WA.
                      It's walnut! I use it as a stage, since it's cracked through the middle so useless for carving as a whole!
                      its a comfortable area!
                      the rodent is my rat, bubbles!

Comment

This is what my wife calls the Carvingbarn. I am in the middle of rearanging much of the inside. hope to get that done soon.
                        yard shots 008 - Copy.JPG shop_storage_003.JPG SHOP 003.jpg carving.jpg
                        Last edited by Randy; 02-18-2021, 09:42 PM.
                        We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                          Eric: that is wonderful! I was going to say "so cool" but that isn't funny at this time of year.
                          Close that in, get an Air-tite stove in there an you will have to leave the door open.
                          I like the sky light = shadow free until you need a desk lamp.
                          Reminds me of First Nations carving sheds full of cedar mess and poles. I can smell it.
                          I find it amazing you worked with First Nations carvers and i think your knives show it probably the best looking ones i ever seen but ive yet to use one.Its on the list haha.

Looked up air tight stoves thanks for the tip!

Comment

More great workshops. Before woodcarving, I took up woodworking ... but with a difference. With the exception of an electric drill, I resolved to make furniture without using power tools. I bought some of the best hand tools and set to work.

The problem with woodworking is you soon run out of space. Woodcarving is much better. You can easily sell or give away your carvings, and the tools are pretty limited.

Here are two pieces from my woodworking days. Everything is held together with glue and dowels.

Foot stool.jpg Small Tool Tote & Wood Carving Board.jpg
                            Rodster
                            https://rodster.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Rodster View Post
                              More great workshops. Before woodcarving, I took up woodworking ... but with a difference. With the exception of an electric drill, I resolved to make furniture without using power tools. I bought some of the best hand tools and set to work.

The problem with woodworking is you soon run out of space. Woodcarving is much better. You can easily sell or give away your carvings, and the tools are pretty limited.

Here are two pieces from my woodworking days. Everything is held together with glue and dowels.

Foot stool.jpg Small Tool Tote & Wood Carving Board.jpg
                              What wonderful craftsmanship! In 1973, I was in 7th grade and got to take woodshop. Our first project was using hand tools to make a small desktop bookshelf--handsaw, planes, and a bit/brace. The first part of the class was learning how to do draw it using a drawing table and a T-square, then transfer the drawings to a finished project...our teacher was OLD-School...

Comment

Carving sheds. Clean as a whistle one day. The next day, the place is nearly ankle deep in cedar mess. Always a clear space around the coffee pot.
                                In one, the work benches are covered with carpet and the vises have carpet jaws, the cedar is so soft.
                                One guy is making and carving cedar doors.
                                Brian T

Comment

Working...
                                X