Show us your work area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what happened, I'll try again.

This is my 24x26 carving shop . I recently changed my shop around. I built a higher carving bench that I can stand at and located it by windows for better light. I found that the natural light from the windows is better than artificial light, also while I can still sit at the higher bench when I need to, I found the standing carving position is better than sitting. My table saw, band saw, planner and other shop tools are located on the other side of the room.

IMG_1380.jpg IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

Comment

One of the conditions for moving to our current domicile was that I would have a shop. I ended up with a small portion of a 2-car garage. My wife ended up with the second-largest bedroom as her sewing room. There's a small issue of disparity there. I'm considering looking at the city code, as people are being allowed to build MiL units in their front and back yards.

Comment

Originally posted by mpounders View Post
        I carve upstairs in my attic office most of the time. Heat and air plus a bathroom makes it a lot more comfortable than my garage work shop. I store most of my wood out there with the table saw and band saw. The attic works fine for most of my needs.
        How do you like that Jaw vise that is holding up the bust you are carving. Is it sturdy enough to handle large roughing out gouges and mallet blows?

Comment

Here is my indoor carving area. I'm really not liking the Christmas wreaths disturbing the views from the window, but I was reminded that I could be carving in a closet if I wasn't careful! As you can see, my next project really needs to be some sort of tool caddy for my knives. I just can't decide on a design.

I also have a workshop for the messy work, but it's not very photogenic. I'm not required to keep it as neat as my indoor space!
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi Tioga paddler , Newsome road.
            Those are long handles do you guys have a shorter one you go by? Both of your work spaces are really nice. Mine sort of hovers around organised chaos. Is that a razor tip unit you have sitting there Newsome?? If so how do you find it. I have one of the 2 pen models.

Comment

It is a razortip. I love it! I used a walnut hollow (I think thatscwhat it's called) for a couple years, and really enjoyed it. That was a much smaller investment and allowed me to get hooked. But the ergonomics of the razortip pen and the speed it heats and cools allows me to change tips faster and burn longer.

Comment

Originally posted by buckbeans View Post

How do you like that Jaw vise that is holding up the bust you are carving. Is it sturdy enough to handle large roughing out gouges and mallet blows?
                It is quite sturdy. I use it to grip a carving arm and that allows me to rotate it as needed. It works for sitting or standing.
                'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
                http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
                  Hi Tioga paddler , Newsome road.
                  Those are long handles do you guys have a shorter one you go by? Both of your work spaces are really nice. Mine sort of hovers around organised chaos. Is that a razor tip unit you have sitting there Newsome?? If so how do you find it. I have one of the 2 pen models.
                  I've been known to answer to Larry.

Comment

Hi Newsome
                    That would be my thoughts on the razortip as well I find it works pretty well all round.

Hi Larry
                    Look forward to seeing your carvings. How do you find the raised platform to work on that your flower basket is sitting on. Always looking at better ways to do things!!!

Comment

Glenn

The raised platform is more for comfort, but I think it places the work piece at a better position for carving.
                      I just made the higher carving bench that's in the picture. I always sat at my other bench but found it was a little uncomfortable carving for long periods of time. The higher bench is a lot better for me. I made it so I can carve standing or I can carve sitting on the tall stool. I also placed the bench so I could take advantage of the natural light.
                      The vase of flowers was a practice run for a larger project I would like to do this winter. The vase and flowers are carved from White Pine. I use white pine a lot for samples or to work out details before I use my good Butternut.

IMG_1367.jpg IMG_1342.jpg

Comment

• Claude
                        Claude commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Excellent work!

Hi Larry,
                      Thanks for that. Think I will give this a try. Nice 3d effect with the flowers. Looks very good!!

Comment

A Work In Progress

After 11 years of whittling sitting in the rocking chair on the front porch with just my trusted “Helvie”, glove, thumb guard and strop, the decision was made to expand my horizons by learning relief carving and be able to do it on the porch in the summer and move into the basement during the winter.

I’m about 2 months into the process of learning the relief carving techniques and creating a portable work space that can be used on my lap in the rocking chair or in the cellar on a table top. The ‘lap bench’ holds all the stuff (so far), the little square movable dogs allow the work to be quickly repositioned while keeping the chips out of the way. My paints and wood supply are behind that wonderful book, “Relief Carving Workshop: Techniques, Projects & Patterns” by Lora S. Irish.
                        20211203_104757.jpg
                        John
                        ​​​​​
                        "Quality is not expensive. It is priceless!"

Comment

Hi John
                          Nice tidy set up you have there. Can you post some of your carving please? Is always good to see what other people are doing.

Comment

I have a sit-stand desk that raises and lowers with some buttons. A little flimsy with the veneered MDF top it currently has, but I’m going to build a 6’ hardwood top and attach it to the really heavy metal legs. Then it’ll be a monster.

I love my work space because I can sit or stand whenever I want.

The wooden platform on top of the desk is something simple I built with 3/4" dog holes that accept any standard dog hole accessory (but I use Kreg adjustable clamps/bench dogs because they’re cheap and plastic, so I don’t have to worry about 'misfiring’ with my tools and hitting them).

The wooden stand that my tools attach to is one I quickly put together with some cheap rare-earth magnets and a router plane. It needs to be sturdier, but it works for the time being.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 4 photos.
                            Last edited by jake; 12-05-2021, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Claude
                              Claude commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The bench dogs and holes are a great idea for holding the wood!

Hi Jake
                            That is an impressive array of chisels you have there!! Also like the idea of the adjustable stops to hold the work in place. What a good idea. I generally end up nailing blocks of wood to the bench top which I consider to be sacrificial to the work. Is only a strip of 18mm MDF so cheap as chips to replace. I find the light on the adjustable arm to be worth its weight in gold as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X