X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kiri
    started a topic Show us your work area

Show us your work area

Do you work in your own workshop, shed, just outdoor somewhere, in the corner of the garden, or dedicated room in the house?
    What kind of workbench do you use? Tools?

And where do you store your finished carvings?

• gouge
    replied
    Hey Rodster
    I read where you wanted a photo of my work area. I will try to get one online as soon as I can. I'm not real computer savvy, but I will try my best.
    gouge

Leave a comment:

• rickm
    replied
    what work area i compete in the garage between the heat and cold and moving two cars I hate working in the basement too dark and cold the family room is good until my wife complains about the chips I like the idea of a precious post od the wooden table and chair that what I need its basically impossible to find a area to work for years I sat on the stoop and carved so the dogs could be out but I can't get down that low now so yeah like what area

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Mark, A very Professional looking Shop for a Professional Carver. Great working Space. Merle

Leave a comment:

• Mark N. Akers
    replied
    Here's a few pictures of my shop and sharpening station.

Leave a comment:

• Rodster
    replied
    Originally posted by gouge View Post
    For the type of carving that I do, I have a table in the living room (wood floors) and it works perfect. Most chips stay on the table, but I sweep up the ones on the floor. I keep it very neat. Also, my wife and I can visit while I carve and she can read or watch tv. It really works out good.
    I found your description of the table in the living room as your work area particularly interesting. Very sociable. This is a good idea. I shall see what I can do. If you have a picture, send it along.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    My "work area" is actually several: I carve at a dedicated desk inside, do my drilling and bandsawing/scrollsawing in an outside workshop,and have an outside workbench where I do painting and heavy-duty stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Buffalo Bif
    replied
    I mentioned earlier that my work area is essentially in my lap, knife wood and chips. This time of year up here in the frozen north, I whittle inside, of course. I could whittle anywhere, but in the spirit of maintaining marital bliss I look for someplace without a rug- its easier to sweep. I also like to whittle barefoot- I can tell when chips are stuck to the bottom of my foot. I can't tell when they are stuck to the bottom of my sock, and end up tracking them all over the house.

Leave a comment:

• northwood bob
    replied
    Just thought I'd share

Leave a comment:

• gouge
    replied
    For the type of carving that I do, I have a table in the living room (wood floors) and it works perfect. Most chips stay on the table, but I sweep up the ones on the floor. I keep it very neat. Also, my wife and I can visit while I carve and she can read or watch tv. It really works out good.

Leave a comment:

• fiddlesticks
    replied
    Originally posted by kiri View Post

Great set up. I wonder if the wall tool hanger is magnetic. Haven't seen it before, but looks smart.

Pheil gouges and tool roll, and nice lamp, and great work bench.
    Yes, the tool holders are magnetic. I got the 23 inch version http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...26,48515,32153. I have four over the bench and one over my sharpening table. I could use a couple more, but a lot of my tools are on my bench or in the roll at any given time.

I do have Pfeil, Henry Taylor, Dastra, Stubai, and a few others, but going forward, I'm buying Pfeil or the Stubai fishtails because. 1. I like how they are thinner and better ground. 2. Readily available. I waited a long time for some of the Taylor's and Dastra.
    Last edited by fiddlesticks; 10-15-2018, 04:09 PM. Reason: Added link

Leave a comment:

• kiri
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodster View Post
    I like the workshops of mpounders and fiddlesticks. And I went hunting for Claude's, which was great as well. Nice to see where people hide out while they're carving. Keep 'em coming. I'd like to see a few more.
    Yeah, I also like seeing other people's workshop, work area, because they give me some good ideas on how I could set up mine. It is also cool to be able to work with just a knife and small table or wood on hand, and work away producing lots of carvings. Everybody each to their own, I suppose. But seeing the variety of work areas is always interesting.
    Last edited by kiri; 10-15-2018, 01:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kiri
    replied
    Originally posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    I do most of my carving in a converted home office. I have a shop vac handy for the chips. If I need to do things that generate a lot of noise or mess, then I go to the garage.
    Great set up. I wonder if the wall tool hanger is magnetic. Haven't seen it before, but looks smart.

Pheil gouges and tool roll, and nice lamp, and great work bench. I miss my previous house. It had a huge detached garage = brick built, and would have been ideal for workshop. I wasn't into anything DIY or craft then. We moved to this house, and it only has old wooden shed = not really suitable for carving work, because it is old and falling apart. Planning to build a new garage / workshop, or move to a new house with outside workshop in the future, when the inheritance court case settles (= a few month, hopefully).

Leave a comment:

• kiri
    replied
    Originally posted by mpounders View Post
    I carve upstairs in my attic office most of the time. Heat and air plus a bathroom makes it a lot more comfortable than my garage work shop. I store most of my wood out there with the table saw and band saw. The attic works fine for most of my needs.
    Yeah, I have the same 3 legged clamp. I think mine has different brand name, cannot remember what it is called now, it has been in the garden shed for a few years now. But that is is a heavy duty clamp. Great stuff.

I can see your Yamaha acoustic guitar too. I have a few acoustic guitars myself. It is always refreshing to play a few tune after some carving

Love the torso carving on the clamp being worked on. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Rodster
    replied
    I like the workshops of mpounders and fiddlesticks. And I went hunting for Claude's, which was great as well. Nice to see where people hide out while they're carving. Keep 'em coming. I'd like to see a few more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X