Inherited table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inherited table

Got this in a will. Its a table with carved wolves along the side and a face on the front. It is in very good condition. It is a extremely hand crafted piece of furniture. I dont know anything about it. I herd he paid 7. Don't know if 700 or 7000. I don't even know what kind of wood. Its 44" x 19-1/2" x 29-1/2"

Value?

an interesting piece for certain. just my vivid imagination but the wolves seem to have an egyptian flair, and the Queen,, Italian.
    Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Certainly a beautiful piece. Might want to do a Google image search and it might show up some information. My limited experience with this type of carving tells me it isn't worth as much as it might look...total guess. However you can always get a local insurance appraiser, or antique dealer to give you an estimate? Probably the best way.

I'd be curious and appreciative of information you might gather.

Good Luck!!
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Not much wear and tear for a hand-me-down. Face looks asian.
        Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

It depends....on what kind of wood it is, how old is the work, and where did it come from and what kind of shape it is in, ..... it looks like 18th century Italian?? Only people who can appraisal of this work can tell you the whole ball game, and do not sell to them....just want an appraisal. You need to do lots of research on this. Old 18th-century furniture can cast a mean high price with the right buyer meaning the very rich collectors, it could also be a cheap reproduction which has little cost. Here in the islands, some people go to the states art museum for appraisal, and I never have had anything appraised so do not know the cost. This kind of thing you need to have professionals who do this kind of work to tell you the value.....also if you can find a collector of this kind of furniture they may be able to help you with the value. I do know hardwood furniture like this has been major increasing price if new....a hardwood exotic wood table made to order with figures like this can cost 15,000 dollars or more. The market is small ....although, again only very rich collectors of real wood furniture that is carved would buy unless it was cheap. Wish you much luck in your digging for information.

Comment

My uneducated guess would be Asian reproduction. Looks too new to me for an antique, seems to lack patina and the results of the slings and arrows that come with age, but difficult to say from pictures.

Regardless, the only thing that matters is that you like it. Enjoy your table, Skeeter!
            Arthur

Comment

Thanks guys.....think I'll get an appraisal.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                My uneducated guess would be Asian reproduction. Looks too new to me for an antique, seems to lack patina and the results of the slings and arrows that come with age, but difficult to say from pictures.

Regardless, the only thing that matters is that you like it. Enjoy your table, Skeeter!
                I sort of agree with this statement.....it is weird how clean and shiny it is. The picture looks like it is plastic and not wood. Of coarse it is impossible to say looking at the picture.

Comment

I'd say they are "Lion Dogs" heavy mane like that and pointy snouts. I'd say African - Maybe Iberian - the color looks like the exotic wood in our pool table. I'll have to look it up in papers to find the location and wood type.

Comment

Resembles this: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...-carved-collie
                    Terry

Comment

African or South American as South East Asia has a blond wood. Says shipping Container but not from where.

Comment

Working...
                      X