No announcement yet.

What normally do you work on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all, sometimes I have to wonder. All of the carvings, chips I have seen always look so PRO done. I just guess I will just have to keep the wife happy and stay in the garage.. Making small pieces out of big ones. And Welcome, DavePete I always felt that if I just made it "look" like something,, it was ok. And a lot of these folks it seems have done just the same as I. Started small and worked up. Me I started small, and still, small items. BUT just as fun as ever. I started carving in our RV in Texas and my carving station was/ still around. A sales valise with a cookie sheet inside. The cookie sheet caught the cuttings and easy to dump, then at home, I decided to make a 3x3' table , now mounted a small bandsaw. Carving so far are no taller than 8" or so, smallest is 1" x 3/4". Just enjoy .And remember safety , get a good cut resistant glove and if ya need some kind of guard for that thumb.(optional) and Dileon You are very lucky to have a great place to do your" Stuff".

Comment

I like to carve mythical figures, I have yet to have anyone prove to me that I did it wrong.

Comment

Hi DavidPete,

I welcome you to the forum and hope you have a most pleasant journey.

Comment

Well NoDNA that is a good question. You will get a great variety of answers here, as many as carvers, because I seem to think everyone has different reasons for carving.

I carve to help me keep my spirits up, it relaxes me and takes me to a place where I don't feel the pain of my every day life. I carve to please myself, to create and to "see if I can do that", and to make a dollar of two from time to time. I began by carving/building wooden sailing ship models from scratch, then I began carving other things to practice making parts for the ships just in a larger scale, for practice, then make them smaller and smaller. I then got hooked on just carving anything that suited my fancy. I suffered a car accident and sustained a traumatic brain injury and had to learn things all over again: speaking, carving, ship modelling. The old brain doesn't work so good so I began carving more and more as it was the one thing I could do that didn't require quick thinking. I don't remember things so good, or can't figure out things so well, and my thinking slows down, so carving is perfect. Since I have to walk with a cane for the rest of my life, I have been making ones that I can be proud of. And for your example, it took me seven years to make that connection: 1) I have to walk with a cane for the rest of my life, and 2) I'm a wood carver, so why was I walking around with the aid of a store bought plastic headed cane. I do love to carve.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Originally posted by squbrigg View Post
            Well NoDNA that is a good question. You will get a great variety of answers here, as many as carvers, because I seem to think everyone has different reasons for carving.

I carve to help me keep my spirits up, it relaxes me and takes me to a place where I don't feel the pain of my every day life. I carve to please myself, to create and to "see if I can do that", and to make a dollar of two from time to time. I began by carving/building wooden sailing ship models from scratch, then I began carving other things to practice making parts for the ships just in a larger scale, for practice, then make them smaller and smaller. I then got hooked on just carving anything that suited my fancy. I suffered a car accident and sustained a traumatic brain injury and had to learn things all over again: speaking, carving, ship modelling. The old brain doesn't work so good so I began carving more and more as it was the one thing I could do that didn't require quick thinking. I don't remember things so good, or can't figure out things so well, and my thinking slows down, so carving is perfect. Since I have to walk with a cane for the rest of my life, I have been making ones that I can be proud of. And for your example, it took me seven years to make that connection: 1) I have to walk with a cane for the rest of my life, and 2) I'm a wood carver, so why was I walking around with the aid of a store bought plastic headed cane. I do love to carve.

Bob
            Am glad to hear you are doing what you do and that carving is an outlet. I do like the idea of ships and sails sound fun. I had watched a utube a long time backa guy had made/carved a 3 mast schooner about 1 foot long. Even the sheets were wood. Stay well and keep it up.
            Cheers and thanks for your input.

Comment

NoDNA you should know, that I have DNA in almost every carving and certainly every ship model that I have ever made. LOL

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Hi Alice in Wonderland has no been active for a while , I come and look but I have not contribute any comments, many years ago I went to a local carving club and was almost boooooed out because I did not carve Birds , that was in the 90th and I am still not carving Birds!!! there is so much other stuff to carve right now I have 2 woman and 1 hand holding a Ball on the go, sorry no pictures , but some of the older stuff I can show you , I just don;t have my Photographer anymore and I do not have one of those fancy phones either.I will show some of my work in photos, if I manage how to do it :-) I can work only with power now , you know ??the usual problem,old hands ,Arthritis , but here they are ,maybe giving you some idea
                Alice
                www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
                www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
                www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

This is some fantastic carving, come visit more often
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Welcome down the rabbit hole, Alice! Glad to see you, nice carvings and refreshingly different from our usual fare. Now that you've found your way back, stay a while.
                    Arthur

Comment

Very nice carvings Alice and keep up the excellent work. Forget "birds" because what you do is certainly in your wheelhouse and we all have our own niches. Please return here often and many here sure enjoy your work.
                      Bill
                      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Wife and I think all these are just , great and no need for birds as woodburner807 said. Glad to see your work.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
                          Wife and I think all these are just , great and no need for birds as woodburner807 said. Glad to see your work.
                          I actually said, "forget birds..."
                          Bill
                          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Working...
                          X