What normally do you work on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What normally do you work on?

After being on this site for a spell, I See "it seems" so many of you all do just about one type of idea. Do you do this for (ha) fun, for $$, or just relaxing? and generally do you just do lil people, animals or whatever? I haven't had one thing hold my attention more than 3 of a kind. Except for 4 lil owls for necklace items I copied from one of the magazines. By that I will carve or chip one item "bird" make 3 then go to something else. I have a collection of small birds, dogs,and stuff like that. Should I look for an outlet ?$$. Thanks all.
    And I can now say I may have to change my handle.. to DNA today. twice. Make sure your knives are put back before picking up a pencil. Oh yes on the knives, I have mede 2 out of hacksaw a blade,
    Cheers
    "dna"
    Chuck
    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Well, I have sold my premium walking sticks for a good sum but now just do carving for fun. Being a "senior" there is more to life than money. Some people don't realize that and die miserably. Heck, I could be homeless but as long as I have a knife...all is good.

Personally, this forum is by far the best group of people I have met. Talented, funny, helpful, and with excellent carvings...plus ideas. What could be better?
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

When you give a carving away you make someone happy and get a nice smile for your efforts and that's enough for me
      Herb

Comment

I do it to keep the mind busy, along with the hands ∙∙∙∙∙∙
        . . .JoeB

Comment

I like animals, struggle with people, tho I'm improving there. I prefer whittling things that do more than just sit on a shelf- ornies every year, bottle stoppers are good...
          Buffalo Bif
          bflobif.com

Comment

Wood carving is all about having fun. Carve whatever makes you happy, and if selling your work is your thing, then do it. I've been carving my whole life. I've sold a ton of my carvings and have given even more of them away. I only sell my work for the hell of it...the money is not important to me. Personally, I get more satisfaction out of giving my carvings away. I've carved just about everything there is to carve. I've done birds and ducks, wooden chains and whimseys, animals, Santas, elves, ornaments, cowboys and caricatures, and everything in between. I've always carved whatever I felt like carving at the time. My point is, carve whatever you want to carve and don't worry about what everybody else is carving.
            Keep On Carvin'
            Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Bob K's comments perfectly reflect my philosophy, except I don't sell my carvings.
              Arthur

Comment

I don't decide what to carve. That's never happened with any success at all.
                My grandmother predicted that I would see things in the wood to carve. I thought she was a nut-case.
                She was right. She's still a nut-case.

I have many large piles of wood, both indoors and out. Maybe I walk past them for a day or a year.
                Then I see what it is. Has even happened up in the mountains, splitting big wood to hold a fish.
                I must bear down and finish some, I need the bench space.

This is a large turtle. It took 2 years to see it.
                LogDs.jpg
                Brian T

Comment

I do not think many of us do it just for the money. I have carved many different subjects mostly for the challenge of learning something new. But walking sticks and canes are my thing. You can incorporate most any subjects you want into one. You can incorporate all the decretive carving techniques you want being as basic or as elaborate as you choose. And when you’re done it is something that is useful and a work of art. But most of all it is just fun.

Comment

Sorry NoDNA, but I noticed I didn't fully answer the question.

I mostly carve caricature type carvings and basic things...nothing "sophisticated." I'm no longer interested in tedious work but enjoy what I do. Very satisfying.

Sell? No, I give everything away to whoever and like to leave some just sitting around anonymously, and sometimes with a restaurant tip, or any purchase. I give some away to people I meet on the morning walk. It makes me feel good and hopefully the recipient also.

I'll leave some holiday-appropriate carvings on graves also.

The small amount I could get for selling them isn't worth my time, trying to. I sell non carved walking sticks but trying to get out of that...but money is good, real good.
                    Bill

Comment

I'm a new new carver and plan to try various things. The only thing I can say with certainty is they will all be on the smaller side since I have no workshop. I'm retired and in no rush. Carving is a hobby for me so no requirements or lofty goals. I attended a carving show a while ago and got some good ideas on carving subjects. Thing I never would have considered. The time spent at the show gave me appreciation for what can be done and subjects to explore.

Comment

First, welcome DavePete and you have found an excellent forum. Most folks here are into smaller carvings and I also fall into that category. Carving smaller pieces take less time, costs less, and is enjoyable.

When I started out I had no idea what I wanted to carve, relief, chip, character, etc. I fumbled around and wound up doing caricature carvings. Just love them. I suspect many carvers start out in the same boat and it is fun to look back at your thoughts.

Anyway, find a niche and wood carving is a great hobby and adapts to small workplaces and can be inexpensive...except for knives and chisels. Wood is all around.

Glad to have you aboard.
                        Bill

Comment

I often carve things I have never carved before....more so for the experience. I get bored very easy....make the same thing over and over again becomes mechanical and laborious. It is hard enough to do the things I do not like in carving....such as rough out work.....which is not fun. Making the same thing over and over again.....is just not me....one of the kind is the best and most challenges. Although I think as I go ....I would like to stop making such hard things....LOL I get too bored with wood carving I will start on another kind of medium of art....so far that has not happen in a long time. .

Comment

Don't move on too quick Dileon because I enjoy your posts. I'm a recovering oil painter who found wood carving and plan to stick with it...love it too much. I find it a great mentally relaxing hobby and don't get too serious about it, as far as "expertise" goes, but by far more relaxing than any other hobbies I have had.

Stay put.
                            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                              Don't move on too quick Dileon because I enjoy your posts. I'm a recovering oil painter who found wood carving and plan to stick with it...love it too much. I find it a great mentally relaxing hobby and don't get too serious about it, as far as "expertise" goes, but by far more relaxing than any other hobbies I have had.

Stay put.
                              Actually, my best work is in woodcarving, the painting would be a second, and ceramics next......Although all kinds of things catch my eye....wow I like to try that...thank goodness today I do not have the money to invest into new work....I do have my grandfathers leather tools I would like to pick up someday As for hobby I really like to be outside in the gardens, they are really shining this year with lots of flowers and etc....work, the butterflies, the birds singing is extremely peaceful for me. People remark that the gardens look like a botanical garden they have so much to see....although often I have my mats and have to do work while sitting on the ground....not sure how long that one will last, back is really bad these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X