Beautiful!!

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Paul, Beautiful work . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    In spite of our isolation ~ we are easy to find and we enjoy the few visitors who make it back here. Using GPS is the easiest way ~ address is 1130 County Road 925, Alpena, AR. As I noted the road ends in our front yard.

I don't know exactly when Peter Engler's shop moved to "Downtown" Branson. But they are near Branson Landing now. The person you met was probably Greg Wilkerson. He taught several years at the Silver Dollar City Seminar ~ which is now taking place in Springfield, MO. Greg's specialty is Native American carvings.

There is a group of carvers who gather each Tuesday night ~ above Sam Alexander's Pharmacy on the square in Harrison. I have not attended but have been told that Harold Enlow does. By the time I learned of the group ~ I was no longer driving at night if I could avoid it.

Leave a comment:

• RayV
    replied
    Paul, that sounds like a great place to live. I have been to and through Fayettevile, AR numerous times. Next time, may have to look you up for a visit.

Leave a comment:

• tbox61
    replied
    Paul...I didn't realize you were so close to Branson! Next time we are there, I may have to convince the wife to head to Whooping Hollow for a visit!

I was in Peter Engler's shop in Branson last November, and was visiting with guy in the tool shop. He said on Tuesday nights, some guys from Branson head south to Harrison and carve with Harold Enlow. Have you ever done that?

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    WHW Entrance.jpg Ray, Whooping Hollow is in the Ozark Mountains ~ about 40 miles south of Branson, MO ~ 50 miles east of Fayetteville, AR ~ no large towns around. We are a little over a mile off of U.S. 412 along a "so-called" road. The nearest shopping is 18 miles away in Harrison, AR. We love the isolation.

I had not met the neighbor at the junction with the highway. A couple of days ago he was trimming brush along his fence and I stopped to talk. He said he had been down our road for 3/4 of a mile to where there was a place to turn around. "I thought that it was a drive way from there on."

There are only a couple of places in the remaining quarter mile where two cars can pass. The road ends in our front yard. We are surrounded by cliffs and this road is the only way into our home.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Great looking peice Paul. Always enjoy following your work. Glad you are back in the carving chair. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• RayV
    replied
    Paul that was quite a career. Lots of memories I am sure. Where is
    Whooping Hollow?

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    4.67Antler is looking good. At $4.67/board foot, you got a deal on the block of wood!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• sappy
    replied
    Paul, the antler is looking really nice, and the way you hung it just looks so natural..what a good idea between your wife and you. Maybe it could be sat off from the wall with lighting. It sure looks nice there!

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    My main regret with the moose antler is the "white" wall behind it. Diana and I lived in many different houses during our Park Service career. All park houses were painted "Navajo White". So we continued this theme into retirement.

RavV, dust from the antler does have a smell that some find unpleasant. To me, it resembles burning hair and is not a problem. Since I carve with metal burrs, I do wear a mask for protection. I also only carve outdoors so that the dust does not accumulate in the house.

tbox61, I believe, even for a small matched set, $300 would be a price to jump at. I bought the one I am carving and one (not a match) equally large over 10 years ago and paid $200 each. I also bought (at the same time) one about half that size that cost around $100. I was watching the TV program "Life Below Zero" and a trapper found a large shed. He was happy that this find was worth over at least $200 (guessing the weight) for him in Fairbanks. No telling what shipping would add to the cost.

A few months ago I found a supplier for a block of basswood 12x12x15. The cost of the wood was around $70. The cost of the shipping was almost $50. Makes the moose antler value not so out of range.

****, these figures brings back a memory from 1980 when I started carving. I told Diana, "I'm going to move from leather working (only can make so many billfolds, purses and belts) to woodcarving. It will be a cheap hobby. All I need is a pocket knife and a limb!"

I should have known better. When asked what I would do after my Peace Corps assignment, I observed, "Not sure. But I have been in uniform from high school until now. First the military high school, then the Marines. I am not going to wear a uniform or sleep on the ground ever again." This lasted until I returned home, became a National Park Ranger and did both for the next three decades.

Leave a comment:

• tbox61
    replied
    Paul...that is just spectacular! Wow!

I am doing what my father in law did...stockpiling tools in anticipation of my retirement, and moose antler is one of my bucket list items to carve with my still in the box Foredom! I found a matched set of really small moose head gear in an antique shop here in Kansas. I was surprised they wanted over $300 for the set...too rich for my blood!

I have heard that antler buyers are paying $15-$20 per pound from shed hunters for deer and elk antlers. Looks like they might be high for a while!

Leave a comment:

• fiddlesticks
    replied
    Beautiful work, Paul. My mom has painted scenery on moose antlers, but I've never seen one carved.

As to the silver lining of your dark cloud, sometimes I think if I had two less weeks of internet per month, I'd be far more productive.

Leave a comment:

• Tinwood
    replied
    Really nice work Paul. Super idea for hanging the antler as well.

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• RayV
    replied
    Paul, the moose antler looks amazing. I have only turned pens from deer antler before. Does moose antler stink when carving?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X