Blowing off some steam!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing off some steam!

My wife placed an order with Stadtlander carving supply Monday 6/10 PM, it arrived today early afternoon (not even 3 days later), very fair shipping prices! Just great service! A couple months ago my sister sent me a gift certificate from MDI, they charged her $10 shipping to send the gift certificate. I was floored, so I called them they said well we sent your sister $10 back. That in itself did not make any sense to me, I said I never heard of such a thing but just went along with it. I then called my sister who lives across the country and she said no they never reimbursed me $10. At that point she called them very angry and they finally reimbursed her the $10. I could not believe they would put a customer through something like, especially with computers . Anyhow I then went to place an order and they told me I could not use the gift certificate towards shipping and I would have to use a credit card to pay for the shipping, Again very confused because I’ve never heard of such a thing I’ve always dealt with the wood craft shop which is now unfortunately out of business! So I went ahead and placed my order and gave them the additional amount for shipping on my credit card and it took over a week to get my order! ( took them a week to ship 2 in stock items) As you can imagine this aggravated me to no end! Obviously I will never buy from MDI woodcarvers again! Hopefully this rant Will keep others from going through what I went through! I really miss the wood craft show and doing business with good honest people, Stadtlander wood carving supply is my new go to company.

BTW, Hummul bought out TWCS, they also offer good service!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up...good to know, however, I never bought anything from them.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I'll be doing some business with Greg Dorrance, as they seem to treat folks well. I ordered two burner tips and shipping at check-out was a flat rate. However, when I received the tips, the shipping was reduced to match the actual cost of mailing the small items.

About two months ago, Greg called me asking permission to use the pattern for an old shoe I had posted on my web site. I appreciated the asking.

They're the folks who bought out Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers.

https://gregdorrance.com/
        Last edited by dave.keele; 06-15-2019, 05:42 AM.
        ....Dave
        Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
        www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by dave.keele View Post
          I'll be doing some business with Greg Dorrance, as they seem to treat folks well. I ordered two burner tips and shipping at check-out was a flat rate. However, when I received the tips, the shipping was reduced to match the actual cost of mailing the small items.

About two months ago, Greg called me asking permission to use the pattern for an old shoe I had posted on my web site. I appreciated the asking.

That’s exactly how customers should be treated, that is great to hear and I will be ordering from Greg in the future! I’m still confused as to how MDI has stayed in business treating people the way they do.

Comment

I have used both MDI and Stadtlander many times, in fact I have ordered from both within the last two months. MDI has always shipped my items and I have received them in a average of 2-3 days every time (have ordered from them at least 6 times in the past 4 years). I can't explain your difficulty, but I have never had a problem with any supplier...nor have my friends. I hear horror stories like yours from time to time about lots of merchants from Amazon to WalMart to car dealerships, etc that I have used with great customer satisfaction.....I guess the message I am putting out is that experiences vary and all companies drop the ball occasionally. I think the best advice to forum members is to try a supplier that has what they need at a price that seems right to them and give them a try and stick with them if you like the service you get, otherwise move on. Hope your future orders are smooth, and I understand your frustration at having to rely on internet orders for your hobby as so few merchants cater to our craft and hardly anyone has local access to supplies. Good luck in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by dave.keele View Post

My experience also. Good and quick service!
              Arthur

Comment

Thanks for Blowing Off Steam, it is always good to be forewarned. Sometimes dealing with people leaves one with the feeling to scratch someplace 'cause you just can't figure them out.

Comment

I have ordered from MDI, Stadtlander, Greg Dorrance and The Woodcraft Shop (with new owners), and have never had a problem with any of them.
                  Keep On Carvin'
                  Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

I had a 'Merry Christmas to me' moment a couple of years ago, and bought a stag handled Oar Carver from Stadtlander. When I received it, it wasn't as sharp as I thought it should be. I corresponded via email with Bob Stadtlander, and he said to ship it back, and he would make it right. I got it back promptly and it was sharpened and honed perfectly!

The Woodcraft Shop has never steered me wrong, as well as Dallas at Old Texas Woodcarvers, which has since sold to a couple from Arkansas.

I am in the customer service business myself, and I tend to stay with people that treat me right. I actually don't mind paying a bit more for something if I know that folks will treat me right if something goes sideways.

Comment

Can name about five mainland companies that cheat out customers when doing business with them.......if you one of the lucky ones that do not get the rip off treatment then pat yourself on the back. But I find out over time, that I am not the only one that has major complaints and upset. A warning from someone on here about bad treatment is a red flag.... I give a company a chance more then once.....but I can put up a hand of five companies I refuse to do business with. Either your honorable and have integrity for your company or you do not. There are companies that are a major pleasure to do business with ....and I will always; let people know who they are.

Comment

I suppose the opposite happened with me last week, I was searching for two gouges that they were the only supplier that showed to have stock. I placed the order knowing there was a shipping charge and had my order in three days. I was completely satisfied with my purchase, just don't want others to completely turned off to a supplier who did me right. I will use them again. Curly

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Early View Post
                          I suppose the opposite happened with me last week, I was searching for two gouges that they were the only supplier that showed to have stock. I placed the order knowing there was a shipping charge and had my order in three days. I was completely satisfied with my purchase, just don't want others to completely turned off to a supplier who did me right. I will use them again. Curly
                          Wasn’t so much the slow delivery that got me, more so $10 to ship a gift certificate then they tell you they return the $10 but yet you have to call and ask for your $10/back. Just makes absolutely no sense to me! Hope I can save a fellow carver from going through the same.

Comment

Working...
                          X