fb and pinterest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fb and pinterest

how many of you check facebook and pinterest for carving ideas etc? I did more in the past but there is a lot of inspirational stuff there and i need all the inspiration i can get

I don't do FB because of concerns with privacy, and security...in fact, I shy away from all social media sites. However, I do search for information/patterns and will go to the links but don't sign in. Certainly a lot of knowledge and images out there.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I haven't found much inspirational on FB, but I do find a lot of interesting woodcarving work there. I constantly mine Pinterest for ideas, some to take pretty much whole, but mostly to adapt and as a starting point to develop my own designs. I don't just look for carving subjects, but for a wide variety of stuff, such as different animals, scenes, certain sculptors that I admire, design elements, etc. It's a fabulous resource.
      Arthur

Comment

I'm always kicking around in both of them, some times the information you can glean from them is pretty limited
        . . .JoeB

Comment

I like to look at the carvings on FB, and to post my carvings there to see reactions
          Herb

Comment

I find that if I have something in mind I can just do a google search for whatever it is and go to images and get ideas from the hundreds of pics that normally pop up. I don't carve from patterns so the pics give me an idea of what I want to make and let the knife go from there.

Comment

I hate pinterest. Clogs up my internet searches. Joined FB for 30 seconds and quit when I got a thousand friend requests in that amount of time.

Comment

Biggest problem I have with Pinterest is people posting photos of other peoples work without giving credit. I have seen lots of wood carvers original work posted with the Pinterest suggestion, "Have you tried this". An open invitation to copy someones work without credit or permission.

Comment

The worst part of FB is people post their work on several different FB pages. So, if you join a bunch of Fb pages to see different types of work, then you see the same posts over and over. So, you end up scrolling a lot. But I guess you got to take it all or nothing.

Pinterest eats up memory so it slows down my MAC. I rarely look at it unless I'm looking for something specific and I know where and how to find it.

Too be inspired, I just type in whittling and then some key words like fireman and caricature. Then I click on Images and start perusing.

Bob L

Comment

I love looking at other wood carvings, mainly to see the work and study how they may have done it? Although many times the study includes what I do not like about a subject and deciding on what I would add or subtract. Inspiration starts with what I am going to do and how I am going to do it. Has little to do with other people carvings other then I would sort of like to go the same kind of direction that they are. Facebook is a source of them selling your profile, tons and tons of ads....and them giving me what they think I like which is always wrong....they know I have health issues and try to sell me drugs which in turn makes me major upset...I tell them flat get this off my page I am not a drug addict, the doctor prescribes the drugs not ads. I do not use facebook as carving sources to look at.....anymore as the world internet search engines give me just what I am looking for.

Comment

I enjoy browsing through Pinterest, and post in Facebook but don't search for carvers there, I tend to go my own way on things. I do enjoy all things nautical s I follow a lot of ships and ship modelling stuff on FB.

Bob
                      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                        I don't do FB because of concerns with privacy, and security...in fact, I shy away from all social media sites. However, I do search for information/patterns and will go to the links but don't sign in. Certainly a lot of knowledge and images out there.
                        I agree 100%. These companies track you even if you are not a member but just go to their sites. Craft forums like this are all the social media exposure I want. I have a work friend who turns bowls and puts them on FB. That is his primary way of selling. If and when I get around to selling anything, I think I would prefer face to face through farmer's markets or craft fairs. I know they have their pitfalls too, but I guess I am just old fashioned (or maybe fashioned old...) that way.

Comment

In my opinion, everything in life entails a certain amount of risk. If we enclose ourselves in a nice, safe cocoon, sure we limit our risk, but at what cost? The internet is a double-edged sword, without a doubt, but I for one find the unlimited resources a creative stimulant that is unparalleled and a constant encouragement...I'm always finding something new to try. Risk or no, I'm on the web despite the aggravating pop-up ads!
                          Arthur

Comment

Get a pop-up ad blocker, Arthur. I find it is a great tool and some sites have so many ads I get a headache.

I agree the INTERNET is a great source for information and I find it amazing. I am amazed how easy it is to find anything and I think back to the old days...wow, kids must be overwhelmed. Heck, I spend more time researching stuff (I write) than I should but love learning and researching. But you are correct about "unlimited resources."

Years ago I did web design and it seemed everything changed every few months. Probably minutes today. Technology is amazing and it has run past me.

Sorry to ramble...get an ad blocker. Adblock plus and Ublock are some that I use.
                            Bill
                            Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I have FaceBook and Pinterest both, and post my new carvings in both places. I do not post any personal info, though. There are 3 wood carving groups on FaceBook to which I belong:
                              Renegade Woodcarvers Roundup
                              Caricature Carvers
                              Woodcarvers Tool Trader

Claude
                              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Working...
                              X