Favorite carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite carving

Just wondering.....Which carving are you most proud of or simply brought you the greatest pleasure to carve?
    Mine was a cane I carved for my dad when he was 80. It had an eagle handle, flag draped cane part, and etched words with his name, WWII, and Seabees on it. He carried it everywhere and was so proud of it. He passed last year at 91 and I received it back. Makes me smile each time I see it because of how pleased he was. It always got him a lot of attention.

Hi Sammy
    I think the Northern Red Cardinal I carved for my wife is the carving I call the "GREATEST", it has been on display in our living room for 7 years , many Santa's get honorable mention .

Bruce

Comment

This is probably my favorite, It is a toilet paper holder
      Last edited by joepaulbutler; 10-13-2019, 04:07 PM.
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Since I've only been carving for 15 years, my answer can only be yes, I have a favorite carving.

Bob L

Comment

Someone else once said their favorite one was the next one. I think I agree, it's what I am looking forward too.
          Joe

Comment

I agree with JoeVM, but here's one of my favorites:
            Cross, 2018 benefit.PNG
            Arthur

Comment

Love seeing the photos of your favorites! So maybe some would answer this question. When you're creating or working on a new piece, other than the satisfaction of a good carving job, what motivates you? For me it's the pleasure of seeing what I can actually coax out of the wood and the anticipation of having that "Ah Hah" moment when I've figured out a difficult part of the carving.

Comment

I carve what I see in the wood. Some of them, I won't sell or give away.
                These are a few examples. The "animal family" live outdoors on fenceposts in my yard.
                Brian T

Comment

I think the carving that gave me the most pleasure , both in the carving of, and the giving to, would difintly be one that I carved for a friend who I met here on this forum, Woody 875 . Woody was an English Bobby until forced to retire due health problems...
                  Attached Files
                  If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

It could be needing to come up with a carving for someone, or a "I can carve that" or I like that photo, let me try to create it in wood. It varies. And usually never the same result that I thought would occur--good or bad.

Bob L

Comment

Many years ago, before the Big Hack, I met a British carver in this site.
                      I learned that he had fine motor control challenges. Once he got the knife stuck into the wood,
                      he did OK with each cut. His carvings all had a style of their own. Very distinctive.

Anyway, I learned also that he was unable to sign his carvings.
                      So I got busy with my Dremel and carved a steel branding iron for him to mark his work.
                      That's probably my very best carving of all time.
                      Brian T

Comment

My favorite is also related to an 80th birthday - my sister's. I made this chip carved plate and presented it in a pizza box. She has it hung on a wall in her home. We just celebrated her 90th birthday last month.

Plate 023.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X