Ideas about carving clothing tears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas about carving clothing tears

Curious how the best way to represent torn clothing in wood carvings, not patches...rough tears? How?

Thanks and ideas appreciated!
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

I'm following this topic, ....I would like very much to see a video/tutorial on how to do this
    Wayne
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

I haven't found any information about it, so hence the question. Sewn tears and patches are understood, but freshly torn ones, no info. I'm hoping someone here has an idea. A wood burned curve might be one way, but not that great... don't think so anyway.
      Bill

Comment

Do you have a picture of what you are trying to recreate?
        Ed
        Living in a pile of chips.
        https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

No picture, but I'm doing a bunch of folk art carvings of the Santa stuck upside down in the chimney. Thought torn clothing would be a nice accent?
          Bill

Comment

I do not think I have ever seen a carving of torn cloth. Good question Bill! My first thought is carving a slit of a tear then do one or both side edges something like you would a wave roll in a water seen with uneven edges. I have never been very good at doing linen fold carving. I am going to have to play with this and see what works. Will watch this thread for some answers.

Comment

I would think that carving holes and tears would be accomplish very similar to showing patches only they would be carved irregular rather than a geometric shape.

Comment

Thanks, folks and I'm going to experiment I guess. My wife said to paint the piece and then use a gouge or skew to make an irregular pattern. It might be a good idea to experiment with..unless someone has a better idea. Please continue to post ideas.

Thanks,
                Bill

Comment

After reading the follow up comments, I got to thinking that maybe I had already done something along this line 3 or 4 years ago, so I looked back at some pics of my past carvings. Found this one;.. his shirt sleeves look pretty ragged ( don't know how freshly torn they might be, 'cause I think he's owned that shirt for a while... ).
                  I also recall carving one of my hunters while he was dragging a feed bag that had a hole torn in it and it was spilling out carrots, but can't find a picture of that one.
                  I'm thinking that the main thing is to try to imply a hole. So I would carve the area with jagged edges, and make sure that the two surfaces were painted contrasting colours ie: demin colour overhalls, and flesh colour bum ( or red long johns if the carving is going to be viewed by mixed company. In the attached picture, I painted the plaid shirt , but left the arms natural .
                  Wayne
                  Attached Files
                  If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

When roughing out the carving, leave a little extra around the area that will be the torn spot, so that a little material can be shown as sticking up. Try your technique on a piece of scape to get the desired effect your after, Let us all know what you come up with
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Thanks, guys and I'm getting an idea of what might work and just need to experiment a tad. I like the looks, Wayne, of the torn sleeve and also can see where your idea could work, Joe. The carvings are small and not a lot of real estate to work with though.

Yes, will post when there is a group done. Figure when there is a dozen or so done there will be a group picture posted. However, I need to first experiment a tad. All suggestions are helping and will try out a few variations. I need to get carving them since the Holidays will be here very soon.

Every year I have been carving there are a bunch made to give out. Getting a bit late but will get carving...
                      Bill

Comment

Looks like cutting MMWM here and there might give a ragged edge. Much more and you get a paint brush fiber line. I looked at the mountain men my great uncle carved and got a fright - a broken leg that was fixed. I think it was 60 years ago or more and not in the design. But the clothes seemed clear of tatter.

Comment

Lionslair,
                          MMWM Multi-Media Window Manager
                          MMWM Modified Moving Window Method
                          none of them seem to work, trying to understand what you're saying, As usual, thick between the ears!
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                            Lionslair,
                            MMWM Multi-Media Window Manager
                            MMWM Modified Moving Window Method
                            none of them seem to work, trying to understand what you're saying, As usual, thick between the ears!
                            He's talking about carving the shape of the letters

Comment

Leave extra wood for a pulled tuft of fabric like it was caught on a nail or sharp corner. Make a short jagged v cut for a fresh tear. For an older tear I would use a knife and push into the wood to make v cuts perpendicular and/or angled to a little bit longer jagged v cut.

Bob L

Comment

Working...
                              X