X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Originally posted by drhandrich View Post
    Dileon, the text size in a kindle is adjustable, you can pick out virtually any size text point size that is comfortable.. I like the older generations kindle, ebook reader only, and for that the battery will last a month or more. I use the model called paperwhite, and there is no glare on the screen whatever, looks like a sheet of paper with black text .
    Doc! .... It's not the glare that gets to me. It's the blue light. I get migraines from it. I have blue light screen for my glasses but it's a pain to use. I plan on getting a new set of glasses with the blue light filter built in them come this new year.

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    Dileon, the text size in a kindle is adjustable, you can pick out virtually any size text point size that is comfortable.. I like the older generations kindle, ebook reader only, and for that the battery will last a month or more. I use the model called paperwhite, and there is no glare on the screen whatever, looks like a sheet of paper with black text .

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Originally posted by drhandrich View Post
    i just remembered something else, in the next town there are a couple places (houses) where they have a small weathertight cabinet stocked with paperbacks. outside on a tree, near the sidewalk, books free for the taking or borrowing. people stop and park , go there , pick up a book or two, and drive away. works well for them.
    Thanks Doc! Good idea. I know where there are a couple in my area. In fact, our carving club decorated at least one of them.

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    i just remembered something else, in the next town there are a couple places (houses) where they have a small weathertight cabinet stocked with paperbacks. outside on a tree, near the sidewalk, books free for the taking or borrowing. people stop and park , go there , pick up a book or two, and drive away. works well for them.

Leave a comment:

• BobW
    replied
    At least one Georgia State Park has an unofficial exchange library. There is one in St Augustine near the city marina. There are others I can't remember at the moment but any of them would welcome any book you drop off.

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    To quote an old radio friend. " And now folks you know the rest of the story".. I have about 25 good books( on history), on a shelf, 15 saved carvings, the books, I trade to the local senior center, and I gift the carvings to anyone that just says" That is nice" And it winds up in their hand on their way home.

Leave a comment:

• PittsburghTim
    replied
    Another thing to consider is donating items to a local assisted living facility/personal care home. My father-in-law was in a nearby facility for a few years and we came to realize that they had several residents with no visitors and little to entertain them. The facility had several game nights planned for the residents and included bingo, trivia contests, and even dancing contests. We donated a ton of small items for them to use as prizes for these events and continue to do so even though my wife's father has since passed away. I also routinely drop off magazines for them to have as the men in the facility are few and more of the reading material the home had was geared towards women. My gently used copies of woodworking, carving, train, and National Riflemen magazines were truly appreciated.

I'm sure smaller carvings would be treasured by those who received them.

Tim

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Originally posted by sappy View Post
    About Libraries, having volunteered at the local library I know they don't keep books, so the idea of donating to check out later probably won't happen. Think of it, they can't keep everything. I was saddened at the books we were throwing away, and I noticed several of the ones I had donated in the toss pile...that was an eye opener. Basically, older books, books not looking absolutely pristine or books not checked out in a long time go bye bye. They do hold sells and try to sell some of these books, but the homeless ones go. So if you want to re-home books, try for a yard sell, or maybe gift them to an organization that could use those books, like a carving club for the wood carving books.
    Our library has a small section set aside to see old books, magazines, CD's and DVD's. Then once a year they have a big book-sale to raise money. But you're right, after the sale, what ever is left over and wont fit in their small selling corner goes in the trash. To me that's paramount to murder!

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Originally posted by Dileon View Post
    I had tons of art books, mainly because the computer goes down then ....then, I still have visual pictures. Got rid of them started to get ebooks...but the darn things are worthless when it comes to full-page pictures of how they do things. Got a kindle ....for reading for just about anything else...tons of books went to the library. Now the eyes are going,... bad the kindle can not see much. Now I wished I kept the darn books. There are things in life electronic are day to day but books last a lifetime. I am downsizing ...but to what reason....other then we live in the age of throw away.....honestly I say keep your stuff unless you are stacking it all to the ceiling and can not walk across the room. They can rid of the stuff after I kick over...is how I see it. Nothing worst then digging through your tool box for hours and then realize that it went into the get rid of it box and you got to go out and buy a new one.....
    Dileon.... I'm in love! You're my kind of people! I agree. It never fails. The moment you get rid of a book or a tool, you have a need for it.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Eddy it is my guess a bigger house is out! I have found homes for some of my books in places with small book libraries. Senior center, Penelope house, some retirement homes. some of the kids centers with reading programs. You have to search them out but they are always glad to have a few new books. Can"t help with the carvings. My wife calls the house Randy's carving museum.

Leave a comment:

• Rontana
    replied
    I resisted Kindle for a long time . . . and I have come to like it for certain things. Mostly, those things are fiction by authors I've never heard of, some magazines, etc.

That said, any book that I feel will mean something to me . . . I want those in paper. It could be reference, could be a favorite author, or could be an Old Farmer's Almanac (I have a collection going back to 1975). I'm of the same opinion here as Eddy . . . I just like the way they feel, how they smell, how I will go searching through one of my utterly disorganized bookcases because I want to better recall a certain quote or passage.

Most towns I've lived in have a library book sale a few times a year. Those books are generally obtained from donations (not old library stock) and are good fundraisers. Last time I cleaned out some stuff, I gave away 300 paperbacks.

Leave a comment:

• sappy
    replied
    About Libraries, having volunteered at the local library I know they don't keep books, so the idea of donating to check out later probably won't happen. Think of it, they can't keep everything. I was saddened at the books we were throwing away, and I noticed several of the ones I had donated in the toss pile...that was an eye opener. Basically, older books, books not looking absolutely pristine or books not checked out in a long time go bye bye. They do hold sells and try to sell some of these books, but the homeless ones go. So if you want to re-home books, try for a yard sell, or maybe gift them to an organization that could use those books, like a carving club for the wood carving books.

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    I had tons of art books, mainly because the computer goes down then ....then, I still have visual pictures. Got rid of them started to get ebooks...but the darn things are worthless when it comes to full-page pictures of how they do things. Got a kindle ....for reading for just about anything else...tons of books went to the library. Now the eyes are going,... bad the kindle can not see much. Now I wished I kept the darn books. There are things in life electronic are day to day but books last a lifetime. I am downsizing ...but to what reason....other then we live in the age of throw away.....honestly I say keep your stuff unless you are stacking it all to the ceiling and can not walk across the room. They can rid of the stuff after I kick over...is how I see it. Nothing worst then digging through your tool box for hours and then realize that it went into the get rid of it box and you got to go out and buy a new one.....
    Last edited by Dileon; 12-25-2019, 12:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Originally posted by uvawyo View Post
    Eddy, give the books to the library, that way you can check them out if need be. Donate the carvings to fund raisers, church bake sales etc. of course if you donate the books you will have more room for carvings. I have the same problem and that is what I do.
    Herb.... I also donate books to our local library. The problem is that the library and I don't like the same kind of books so I hardly ever borrow a library book. In fact, set me loose in a store like Barnes and Noble or Books A Million and I'd have a hard time finding even a magazine that I would want to buy. Almost all of the authors of the books that I purchase can only be obtained on Amazon, some other online book store, or special order through a local book store..

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Originally posted by cut up View Post
    You might do some research and so if any place like the children’s hospital, or the fire department might be having a charity auction. They might sell your work for a donation for a worthy cause. I don’t know if that would work for you, but it’s a thought.
    That's a thought! Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X