Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Victory Stick! (formerly believed to be an ebenezer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Victory Stick! (formerly believed to be an ebenezer)

I just now made an entry of a new "doodad" in my website. You can read it and see the pictures and video at http://honketyhank.com/2020/05/21/so...enezer-anyway/ . It is kind of long for a forum post but here is an excerpt:

Flash forward to mid-March of this year (2020). ... Bev and I decided that we would be pretty strict in observing our state's "stay at home" advice. That's good, but what are we going to do while we are staying at home? Bev has redoubled her piano practice and yard work. I had been hitting the mandolin pretty hard and didn't feel like doubling down on that. But I hadn't done any whittling for a while. So why not tackle a relatively big whittling project? Yeah, ok, but what?

Then it hit me. I need an ebenezer to raise when we victoriously emerge from our isolation. I am going to carve an ebenezer that is better than the best ebenezer ever (except, of course, for the ones those guys in the Bible raised).

I hope you will check out the whole post on my website. And feel free to browse around. I mean, we are all kind of hunkered down anyway -- what else are we going to do?

Here is one photo from the post:
    End-SnapShot-1024x576.jpg

And here is the video from the post:
    HonketyHank toot toot

Cool project. Stay safe.
    Ed
    Living in a pile of chips.
    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Hi Hank , You have got to be Kidding , I did a Carving years ago with 1 Golf Ball and that was enough for me , but that piece of Art is a Great Piece to show off your Outstanding Skill . Did you make those Instruments in the Back ground ? Merle

Comment

Merle, I wish I could make a mandolin that would both look as good as those on the wall and sound as good, too. But I am not going to jump down that particular rabbit hole, especially since it is much easier to end up with an MSO ** than an actual mandolin. I'll stick to rattles. I made a banjo once. It sounded awful. It was a BSO. And banjos are a LOT easier to make than mandolins.

** MSO - Mandolin Shaped Object
        HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Hats off to you skill Hank ! That is a great stick. I love walnut and I know it is not an easy wood to carve. You have done a fine job of maintaining consistent sizes of the balls and there chambers.

Comment

Gee, Hank, I'm envious since I couldn't even complete one. You did an excellent job and created something unique and artistic. Congratulations.
            Last edited by woodburner807; 05-21-2020, 10:28 PM.
            Bill
            Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Holy cow, Hank, when you take on a project you go whole hog, no horsing around for you! I'd duck that one, I'm too chicken to try it!

Now that I've included all the livestock, I'll just say "That's impressive!"
              Arthur

Comment

And an old Italian could have said once " Hanka you maka me crazy!!" That is a tremendous project and your Vid was well put on. Thanks . I have done several small ones and it is (for me) a real challenge to keep the rails right. .. And the "noise' is good too.. And Arthur .. Your comments were right off the farm!! HAHhaa
                Chuck
                Chuck
                Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Comment

That is really neat! Walk softly and shake a big victory stick! And it only took 6 weeks? Impressive!

Comment

If I were to try to make one of these, I would end up with a pile kindling starter wood. an amazing job.
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Well, I know I said six weeks, but it looks more like eight or nine from start to finish when I look at the file dates on the photos. But I did take breaks and stuff. Like to eat or sleep or pick on my mandolins. And some days I just went on strike.

By the way, I do like my new shop apron. Heavyweight enough without being heavy if you get my drift. Got it on Amazon. This one . You might have to lengthen the straps a bit, like with a couple of leather bootlaces, like I did.
                      HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Wow what we are looking at here is a super high skill level with the patience of several saints all rolled into one. Love all the instruments in the background. See from comments some people are interested so will post the one I just finished for you to look at. Well done I don't think I would have the patience.

Comment

Glenn, are you talking about that archtop in your media tab? That came out really nice. I bet it is a real boomer. I have an old Harmony tenor back in the closet somewhere. Maybe I could get you to spiff up the Harmony in trade for me whittling a couple of trapped balls in your archtop's neck. Just joking, of course.
                          HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

That's amazing, Hank. What skill and patience.

Comment

Working...
                            X